Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Regional Hits
Author: breno 
Date:   12-09-09 18:31

Is the song "Lake Shore Drive" by Aliotta-Haynes-Jeremiah familiar to anyone else on this board, or was it only a midwestern hit? In Illinois, it's pretty ubiquitous on classic rock stations, but I can't find any evidence that it ever charted in Billboard, which makes me suspect it didn't travel too much further from Chicago than St. Louis.

Here's someone's homemade video for it. Let me know if anyone has ever heard this song further than 200 miles or so from Chicago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjNSmAl7hF0

And how about Head East? Did "Never Been Any Reason" travel very far outside of the Midwest?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyoknbvXlwM

Are there any songs that are considered classics in your necks of the woods that you suspect no one anywhere else in the country have ever heard of?

Post Edited (12-09-09 18:34)

Reply To This Message

Re: Regional Hits
Author: rhettlawrence 
Date:   12-09-09 18:54

Growing up in the South (SC and GA), I definitely heard that Head East song, but never would have been able to identify who it was by. I can't recall if I've ever heard it since moving to the Pacific NW. Never heard the Lakeshore Drive song.

There were songs when I was growing up that I assumed were regional hits (e.g., anything by the Marshall Tucker Band or Charlie Daniels), but I've since come to find out that people all around the country were subjected to that shit.

Reply To This Message

No Subject
Author: Nephew Ned 
Date:   12-09-09 19:38

Post Edited (01-03-10 11:03)

Reply To This Message

Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   12-09-09 22:20

The Houston classic rock station used to play a Head East song - I don't know if it's the same one or not. I don't remember what it sounded like.

The Austin classic rock station likes to play Billy Thorpe's "Children of the Sun." I'd never heard that song 'til I moved here.

Our local triple-A station plays a lot of local music in heavy rotation as if it was a national hit. (As long as it fits the format, of course.) Slaid Cleaves' "Broke Down" comes to mind. Hell, I thought Robert Earl Keen was a big star until I talked to friends who moved here from out of town who'd never heard of the guy until they hit Texas.

Our local commercial alt.rock station also plays a shitload of Blue October, and I've often wondered if they're really that big or if it's just because they're from Texas. (Hell, they made the front page of the newspaper recently because the singer announced he was bi-polar. Surely that didn't happen outside of Austin and Houston.) Ditto the Toadies.

Reply To This Message

Author: Nile 
Date:   12-09-09 23:49

breno wrote:

> Is the song "Lake Shore Drive" by Aliotta-Haynes-Jeremiah
> familiar to anyone else on this board, or was it only a
> midwestern hit?

Never heard it here in California.

> And how about Head East? Did "Never Been Any Reason" travel
> very far outside of the Midwest?

That song got lots of airplay in California, and still does on "classic rock" stations. It sounds kinda like it was done by Kansas or Boston or Styx or ... (fill in your favorite band named after some real or imaginary location).

> Are there any songs that are considered classics in your necks
> of the woods that you suspect no one anywhere else in the
> country have ever heard of?

Interesting question. Lots of bands got their start in here San Diego. But it's primarily a tourist/military/college town. For obvious reasons this results in a highly transient population. People tend to leave, and when they do they take their memories with them. It's hard to have local classics when locals are scarce.

Reply To This Message

Author: MrFab 
Date:   12-10-09 00:10

Never heard "Lake Shore Drive." Or Head East, and I certainly was exposed to plenty of that kinda thing growing up.

Nor have I heard much about that Austin stuff, except for a bit of Robert Earl Keen. He can't be too obscure - he was a guest on "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" within the last year.

Reply To This Message

Author: Jermoe 
Date:   12-10-09 10:22

I, too am familiar with Head East, but Aliotta-Haynes-Jeremiah is new to me.

Obvious Southeastern/Atlanta regional hits:
"What She Does to Me" and "What's He Got" - The Producers
"Baby Love" - Mother's Finest
"Monster" - Fred Schneider and the Shake Society (this is the 1984 original release, not the 1991 re-release)
"Starbooty" - RuPaul

There were also a number of hip-hop and freestyle tunes that were HUGE in the Southeast while making little impact nationally (even though some of the acts were based elsewhere):
"Egypt, Egypt" - Egyptian Lover
"Everlasting Bass" - Rodney O. and Joe Cooley
"Look Out Weekend" - Debbie Deb
"Drag Rap" - Showboys
"Give It All You Got" - Afro-Rican
"Don't Stop the Rock" - Freestyle

I should also mention that Vanilla Ice was originally signed to Atlanta independent Ichiban. "Ice Ice Baby" was big down here about a year before breaking nationally. Shame, shame, shame.

Post Edited (12-10-09 10:22)

Reply To This Message

Date:   12-10-09 18:35

How about "Movin' On" by Missouri? Pretty sure this poor man's Kansas was only a hit in and around the namesake state in the late 70s, but it was sure huge on St. Louis radio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6lXaPPE_-M

But the same year this was a big hit on StL radio, the band played a high school prom in a town near mine, so I really doubt they were too big of a deal nationally.

Post Edited (12-10-09 18:43)

Reply To This Message

Date:   12-10-09 19:09

"Egypt, Egypt" Egyptian Lover - Yaaay, from LA! Still popular here, just saw him at the big ol' Greek Theatre as part of an Old Skool night.

"Look Out Weekend" by Debbie Deb is also fairly popular here, if not huge. I like that song, it's so charmingly amateurish, like if Jonathan Richman was a teen-girl dance music producer.

Reply To This Message

Author: STEVE 
Date:   12-10-09 19:20

Is this the regional geographical course classroom?

Reply To This Message

Author: Heff 
Date:   12-11-09 12:30

Here in Northern Va., that Head East song got lots of airplay.

I always wondered about:

Robert Hazard - Escalator of Life (from Philly)
Shooting Star - The Stranger (Canada)
can't remember who but I think the song was called "No Turning Back" - this was around 1982.

Those songs were played a lot back then but I have never heard them on any other radio station (except when I was in Philly - Hazard got played there - duh!)

Reply To This Message

Date:   12-11-09 13:24

I remember hearing the Hazard song on the radio.

The Shooting Star song that got airplay in Texas was called "Somewhere in Your Heart."

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   12-12-09 13:10

The Kingbees' "My Mistake" has remained pretty obscure. Around here, though, it's regarded as a classic, thanks to a local band called The Sids, who used to cover it regularly in their sets during the '80s.

Reply To This Message

Author: willie 
Date:   12-12-09 17:17

I enjoy telling my fellow Phoenicians how "Funky Broadway" was originally a regional hit by a pretty-good local soul outfit called Dyke and the Blazers. The song is about a skid row in Phoenix, not Midtown Manhattan. You can find Dyke's version on iTunes, but the prosaic truth is that Wilson Pickett's cover beats it by a country mile. Poor ol' Dyke was shot to death here in Phoenix in '71.

Reply To This Message

Author: STEVE 
Date:   12-12-09 17:37

WAY way back when i was in high skool, & tom petty made the first edition of the tp.
His song 'American Girl' tore up the entire states airwaves. ever heard of that one?

ok, then heres another.
we had this guy that played 'the button' in ft laud throught my whole high skoll career (three yrs), charlie pickett...

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-19-17 12:27

Looks like "Lake Shore Drive" might be poised to become something more than the regional hit it was back in the 70s:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/inside-the-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-soundtrack-w477515?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=daily&utm_campaign=041917_12

Since James Gunn is from the Lou, he definitely would've been familiar with it, though no one outside of St. Louis or Chicago was.

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-19-17 12:57

I'm finally getting round to listening to this. I'm sure I've never heard it, but it certainly has a familiar, 70s folk/soft rock lilt to it.

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-20-17 00:59

If Gunn had included "Baker Street" by Gerry Rafferty on this soundtrack, he'd have a perfect approximation of Saturday afternoon radio in mid-70s St. Louis. That and "Lake Shore Drive" seemed to play within a few songs of each other every week when I had nothing to do besides lay in my room listening to the radio and reading Tomb of Dracula comics, which I suspect Gunn was also doing.

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   04-20-17 11:16

> If Gunn had included "Baker Street" by Gerry Rafferty on this soundtrack, he'd have a
> perfect approximation of Saturday afternoon radio in mid-70s St. Louis.

"Baker Street" was at its peak when my family and I moved from Colorado to Louisiana. During that cross-country drive, my brother and I would amuse ourselves by switching around the radio dial, to see how long it'd take us to find some station playing "Baker Street." Even driving across the vast radio wastelands of Texas, it seldom took us long to find it.

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-20-17 11:37

Chicago-born Mrs Fab confirms the big hit status of "Lake Shore Drive" in those environs. Singing about "taking LSD" was a sure-fire way to elicit giggles. (Ah yes, remember drug-related double entendres? Nowadays, innuendos are all about sex, sex, sex...)

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-20-17 13:40

Getting back to Delvin's mention of "My Mistake" by the Kingbees, it was in regular rotation on the weekly New Wave shows on local stations at the time it was current, and still has a small amount of local recognition due to its subsequent status as a "KSHE Classic", which are obscure-ish songs that the local classic rock behemoth keeps alive.

Every week, some local gets to program an hour on KSHE, and my brother was chosen once. All I can remember is he played one song by the band Lake, then I think the rest of it was probably a mix of minor Prog bands and forgotten country rockers.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org