Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 RIP Pete Webster
Author: Nile 
Date:   05-07-10 05:54

My good friend Pete Webster, owner of Guitar-O-Rama in Oakland, CA, is gone. He was hit by a car while riding his bicycle last Saturday night. Pete was a great musician and a pretty darn good guitar repairman when he applied himself. He was a walking encyclopedia of detailed historical information about guitars and amps and practically anything with strings. He was familiar to many musicians in and from the SF Bay Area, several of whom I met as I hung out at Pete's shop. Like my wife, Pete loved to read books on history and politics, and he also enjoyed collecting maps. But most of all Pete was an incredibly nice and generous guy who loved music, enjoyed his friends and treated his dogs Jack and Pumpkin like they were his dearest children.

I spent entire days talking to Pete in his shop while he would work on people's instruments, watching how he would adjust and modify and repair gear while talking about almost anything. We chatted practically every day. I learned a lot about guitars and music from Pete, and about a lot of other things as well. We'd go on outings together, visiting other music stores and suppliers, browsing through book stores, and checking out new places to eat. And we went to many concerts together. Pete knew good music and knew the difference between the real players and the stylist wannabes.

All of which is to say that I'm going to miss Pete. I won't be able to look at a guitar again without thinking of him.

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/EarBud/archives/2010/05/03/peter-webster-of-guitar-o-rama-dies-in-bike-accident

Post Edited (05-07-10 06:33)

Reply To This Message

Re: RIP Pete Webster
Author: blasmo 
Date:   05-07-10 06:32

Sorry for your loss. Take care.

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   05-07-10 09:56

My condolences, Nile.

Reply To This Message

Author: nosepail 
Date:   05-07-10 10:38

Very sad indeed, Nile, but a beautiful tribute. He sounds like he was a great guy.

Reply To This Message

Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   05-07-10 11:16

That really sucks, man. May he rest in peace.

Reply To This Message

Author: Jermoe 
Date:   05-07-10 16:53

I am sure he'd be pleased with your thoughtful words, Nile.

I'm sorry. May God hold Pete in the palm of His hand.

Reply To This Message

Author: hoip chiggs 
Date:   05-07-10 16:55

It seems that always the best leave us. Sorry for your loss, Nile.

Reply To This Message

Author: breno 
Date:   05-07-10 17:41

Sorry to hear this, Nile. It's times like these that you realize who the really important people in the world are.

Reply To This Message

Author: erikalbany 
Date:   05-07-10 20:06

Nice post, Nile, nice post. My thoughts are with Pete, and this spirit is what the TP board is all about. RIP.

Reply To This Message

Author: rebelwithoutaclue 
Date:   05-07-10 23:38

beatiful post. it makes you think that in addition to so many musicians there are so many others behind the scenes . people i never heard of but greatly enriched the world of music and many other people.

Reply To This Message

Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   05-08-10 00:30

Very sorry to hear such news. Damned automobiles.

Reply To This Message

Author: janinec 
Date:   05-08-10 00:58

Here's a YouTube clip of Pete at his shop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptvksDCbVb0

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-08-10 04:52

janinec wrote:

> Here's a YouTube clip of Pete at his shop
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptvksDCbVb0

Wow. Seeing Pete and his dog Pumpkin in that video...I'm choked up. I met Rick Franklin at Pete's shop. Thank you for the link to that YouTube clip. -- Nile

Reply To This Message

Author: Aitch 
Date:   05-09-10 19:43

That's a real nice tribute. He was obviously one of the good ones.

Reply To This Message

Author: srose 
Date:   05-10-10 20:11

Nile,

Hi. I just heard this news today and am really saddened. I heard there is a memorial service on Saturday in Alameda. I'm trying to find out more. Can you call me. I have these recordings that Pete and I did as a silly duo.

Steven Rosenfeld
415-652-1145-cell

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-11-10 05:35

srose wrote:

> Nile,
>
> Hi. I just heard this news today and am really saddened. I
> heard there is a memorial service on Saturday in Alameda. I'm
> trying to find out more. Can you call me. I have these
> recordings that Pete and I did as a silly duo.
>
> Steven Rosenfeld
> 415-652-1145-cell

Hi Steve,

It's good to hear from you again. I'll call you later this morning. The memorial service will be at Calvary Christian Center, 1516 Grand St., Alameda, CA 94501 on Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 2:00 p.m. I have tentative plans to drive up later this week so I can attend. -- Nile

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org