Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 wishes for 2012
Author: randysan 
Date:   12-14-11 20:24

a new record from Beck
no new record from Decemberists
supergroup date: sloan + wild flag
downloads with artwork and lyrics already attached
the patience to get through whatever sinead o'connnor releases

whatchy'all want?

Reply To This Message

Re: wishes for 2012
Author: nosepail 
Date:   12-14-11 21:14

The GBV record to be at least a B+
A rennaissance of record-stores
A properly released Paul Westerberg record
Spotify to go the way of Napster
A new Japandroids album
Lots of fun live music
Ticketmaster to be broken up by antitrust rules
A new turntable
A regular radio gig for Devlin with posted playlists.
More amazing posts from Toland and Paganizer
A significant decrease in the amount of Top 40 songs which use Autotune.
A genuine rock band to get huge.

Post Edited (12-14-11 21:32)

Reply To This Message

Author: M. Johnson 
Date:   12-14-11 21:22

I want a Van Morrison record with an adventurous Joe Henry production.

I want Joe Henry's next album to feature Richard Thompson.

I want Morrissey to only take/share songwriting duties with the dozens of great writers who'd be willing to do it, and restrict his "band" to performing. I'm sure even middling results would be more tuneful than what his bandmembers have been writing for him.

I want Matt Johnson to put out another good the The album with Johnny Marr.

A Leonard Cohen covers album to rival the best of Cash's American recordings. But with some humour.

20% less shitty songs in the top 40.

A really good pop/vocal album from Eno.

Reply To This Message

Author: erikalbany 
Date:   12-15-11 12:06

I kind of like M. Johnson's list. I'll take all of those plus a Red Sox World Series and a Chelsea FC Champions League final.

Reply To This Message

Author: breno 
Date:   12-15-11 12:26

I dearly, but I fear vainly, wish for no more sagas like that of Lana Del Ray, who in May of 2011 was a cool new discovery in the hipper corners of the blogosphere being hyped by all the coolest people, but by September was already facing massive hipster backlash for having committed such unforgivable crimes as choosing to go by a snazzier stage name than her given Lizzy Grant, having a wealthy father, and apparently carrying copious amounts of collagen around in her lips. So by year's end she was already considered old news and a punching bag in the hippest circles before her fucking debut album even comes out in January 2012.

That debut album is now the opposite of the Pre-Ordained Classic - while it's entirely possible that it will end up sucking big time, it doesn't really matter. It could be frigging Dusty in Memphis or Hounds of Love and it would get savaged by a sizable chunk of the population just because. So I wish for saner times, when an artist would be given the chance to actually demonstrably suck before the long knives came out and would get to experience a forelash before the backlash set in.

I also want the damn Hobbit movie to come out before the world ends.

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   12-15-11 19:17

Awww, thanks Nose! I didn't know you cared.

FTR, I've been off the air the past three weeks, due to being on evening shift at work. I've had substitute DJs filling in for me, mostly to the good ... although the one who's covering tonight was excited to tell me, "I'm opening the show with 'Shakedown Street'!"

The good news is, I'll be back on the air next week. In fact, I'll be back with a vengeance: I'm covering four shifts, over the next two weeks, for DJs who will be out of town over the holidays. (That's in addition to my own regular Thursday gig.)

The bad news is, because of TDY, I'll be out of town (and off the air) all of February and March.

Reply To This Message

Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   12-15-11 19:51

Quote:

I also want the damn Hobbit movie to come out before the world ends.

Hoooom! Hooom! Let's not be so hasty now![i/]

I'm sort of counting the days as well if it makes it any easier to bear.

"Hi. My name is Kay and I'm a Tolkien freak."

Just the books. And the films.

And that Gollum action figure posed like James Dean on the base of my desk lamp.

Reply To This Message

Date:   12-15-11 22:23

I wish for more Treebeard references in the coming year.

Reply To This Message

Date:   12-17-11 13:17

Mostly I want some new TP reviews. There hasnt been a new entry since June. <sad face> I think we should be collectively forbidden from criticizing Pitchfork who gives the public four juicy topical reviews every day until we offer an alternative.

Reply To This Message

Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   12-17-11 13:38

Santa may very well be bringing that particular gift soon.

Reply To This Message

Date:   12-17-11 13:55

The gift of music reviews! I love it, Toland!

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Reply To This Message

Date:   12-17-11 15:20

I see from The Hobbit page on IMDB that Sylvester McCoy will be playing Radagast!

So my nerdiness is at war with itself, on the one hand saying "Cool! The Eighth Doctor will be Radagast!" while my other half is saying "Why the hell is Radagast going to be in the Hobbit?????"

What a sad bastard I am.

Reply To This Message

Date:   12-19-11 14:38

And now it appears that the pro-Lana Del Ray forces are fighting back big time against the backlash, as she now is scheduled to appear on Saturday Night Live on January 14, two weeks before her album even comes out. When was the last time a relative unknown was on that show before they even had an album out?

Sheesh. This truly is like watching sausage being made...

Reply To This Message

Author: Jermoe 
Date:   12-19-11 15:09

I'll be happy if I get to attend a show as good or better than this year's best (probably a 3-way tie between Wilco/Nick Lowe, Okkervil River/Future Islands/Titus Andronicus and J. Roddy Walston & The Business)...

Reply To This Message

Date:   12-21-11 16:21

For Rhett, I wish for a positive review of any Sonic Youth album on Warm Voices Rearranged sometime in 2012. I think all the negative ones are starting to get to the poor guy.

Reply To This Message

Author: rhettlawrence 
Date:   12-21-11 16:27

Ha! Like I said in my response yesterday, I think he's just trying to get my goat now! He nailed the most recent one though. I never thought that album deserved the 0.0 Pitchfork gave it, but it wasn't very good. And he's right: there's no songcraft.

After seeing the Scratch Acid/Dinosaur show on last Friday, I'm wishing for a Rapeman reunion. I'd probably fly just about anywhere in the country to see that show.

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-18-12 18:09

While I never stay up late enough to watch SNL anymore, it appears Lana's appearance didn't exactly go over so well. Unless, of course, this is simply the media fulfilling Brad's prophecy. I only watched the first part of the clip here and, tho it ain't exactly compelling, neither is it an utter disaster. Just kinda lame and boring, really....

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-18-12 19:31

Yeah, the other side of the equation that I left out of my original complaint is the fact that her handlers are obviously pushing her into situations she's not ready for. Which is just the opposite side of the same coin as the people who already have the knives out for her - what the hell ever happened to letting artists develop before they either have to be the next big thing or the worst thing ever? The woman has not even done a tour yet and she's already being trotted out to SNL. Whose lunatic idea was that? DId none of her handlers foresee that that might be a bit of a disastrous move for someone with very limited performance experience?

Again, I have no idea if her album is going to be any good or a piece of crap - I've liked one of her songs that I've heard okay and been indifferent to just about everything else. But it's just bizarre how many peaks and valleys her career has already had before her damn debut album has even been released.

Post Edited (01-18-12 19:32)

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-23-12 10:05

The PT entry is up, as Delvin so kindly pointed out - check the p's. It's also in the What's New section.

Now I guess I gotta follow through on my promise (to myself, at any rate) to update the Black Watch and Green Pajamas entries. The latter have released two albums since I posted the original entry.

Post Edited (01-27-12 11:16)

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-23-12 12:00

> The woman has not even done a tour yet and she's already being trotted out to SNL.
> Whose lunatic idea was that?

Somebody who was eager to gain exposure for the new rising star without a lot of investment.

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-23-12 12:19

I feel kind of sorry for her. I think she's got genuine talent, but she needs more development and seasoning. Instead she's being thrown out there (or she's throwing herself out there, but given that she didn't choose her own stage name, I think it's the puppetmasters) before she's ready and her career will likely crash and burn before it really starts.

Reply To This Message

Author: mats84 
Date:   01-23-12 17:34

Westerberg in a studio with a real backing band and a producer

The Strokes to focus and make, well if not an Is This It, a Room on Fire (though I liked most of Angles a good bit I'll admit).

The National to make a new album as good as the last 3

Ike Reilly to have a commercial breakthrough (commercial ad, song in a movie, anything)

An Only Ones reunion record that is actually good and why not a US tour for nostalgia to warm my cynical heart.

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-24-12 10:34

Okay, not to bring anyone down, but ...

My current job is being cut, due to budget constraints. This Friday is my last day on the job.

Like I said, I don't mean to bum anyone out. I've been through this before, and always have made it through. Plus, I'm in a lot better shape this time than I've been in previous layoffs. My company is one of the few that offers its employees "bench time" during a layoff. So I'll still have a steady paycheck for eight weeks, while the company tries to find me a new position.

So, my wishes for 2012 are a new, worthwhile job — hopefully with the same company (because, as you can see, this one treats its employees pretty well) and hopefully in the same town (so I don't have to give up my radio gig, among a lot of other things). Thanks.

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-24-12 10:55

Good luck, man. At least your employer is trying to look out for you.

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-24-12 12:27

Yep, best of luck, Del. I hope I'm not in the same boat in the next few months myself. And my employer (a nonprofit enviro group) will have no such ability to continue to pay me, so the situation would be a little more dire.

Here's to perpetual employment for all TP'ers, along with a Rapeman reunion tour!

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-24-12 12:52

> Here's to perpetual employment for all TP'ers, along with a Rapeman reunion tour!

That inspires me, Rhett. I think I'll make that the Objective/Goals statement on my résumé.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org