Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Big Alarm
Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   08-23-11 08:23

Some audio and video of the new Big Country single, with Mike Peters as frontman, here. Pretty much sounds like the sum of its component parts. Not bad at all, but I have to wonder why (besides name recognition factor) they have to call it Big Country.

Reply To This Message

Re: Big Alarm
Author: Jermoe 
Date:   08-23-11 09:04

While using the Big Country name may be debatable, I think the track sounds good, and am looking forward to hearing more.

Reply To This Message

Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   08-23-11 10:13

Good song, agreed (if you like what the two original bands did, which I do).

Reply To This Message

Author: zoo 
Date:   08-23-11 10:43

IMO, by keeping the name Big Country, they're saying that Stuart Adamson is replaceable. I'm sure the guys in the band would argue that they're actually honoring him. OK, fine. But watching that live video of Mike Peters wearing the Big Country t-shirt on stage just didn't sit right with me. I like Peters just fine, but he's no Stuart Adamson. Admittedly, my feelings on this matter are affected by my opinion that Adamson was one of the premier talents in all of "pop" music...ever.

I would prefer that they go by a different name, especially since they're writing and recording new songs w/ Peters. However, since I wasn't consulted on the matter, I suppose they can do whatever they want. :)

BTW, the new song isn't bad. Anytime we can hear those guys play and sing is usually a good thing since they're such good players.

Reply To This Message

Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   08-23-11 17:42

They kept the brand name. That's all.

Mark E. Smith's never-to-be-initiated solo career told me so.

Reply To This Message

Author: Jermoe 
Date:   02-02-12 11:43

"...the continuing story of Big Country." If youse want hear 'em, here 'em are:

http://www.myspace.com/bigcountryscotland/music/albums/dreams-stay-with-you-edinburgh-picture-house-live-21st-april-2011-18247517

Peters improves over the course of the show. The rest of the band sounds spectacular from start to finish. The audio quality leaves something to be desired. Not sure if that's the case with the physical product.

Reply To This Message

Author: zoo 
Date:   02-02-12 12:36

I didn't listen them all, just a select few. My opinions for anyone who cares:

"The Teacher" - I thought this one might be well-suited for Peters' voice. I was wrong. He sounds fine in the verses but butchers the chorus. Watson and whoever the other guitarist is, however, absolutely nail the dual lead lines.

"Just a Shadow": The closing vocal bit was a stretch for Stu, who had a higher voice than Peters; so, I didn't think 'ol Mikey would have a chance. Correct again. Even worse than "The Teacher." Once again, the band tears it up. What a haunting song. One of their most underrated.

"Wonderland": Possibly my favorite BC tune. Surprise, Peters does a nice job. This one doesn't require such a vocal stretch as "Just a Shadow" and is more in his range.

The verdict: I cannot think of another deceased musician who I miss more than Stuart Adamson. The fact that the other three are out playing his tunes only magnifies this fact.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org