Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Big Happenings in the St. Louis Area!
Author: breno 
Date:   02-08-12 11:50

This story is just too big to keep contained to the StL area!

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/199e0a06-51d6-11e1-9c50-001a4bcf6878.html

This story was one of the major headlines on the St. Louis Post-Dispatch news site this morning. It's a truly staggering development, for sure.

Reply To This Message

Re: Big Happenings in the St. Louis Area!
Author: Delvin 
Date:   02-08-12 14:43

Between the teenage girl sentenced to life in prison, the man who was shot while collecting petitions for "A Safer Missouri," and the Missouri caucus results, I suppose the editor-in-chief felt the need for something lighter to carry the front page.

Reply To This Message

Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   02-09-12 10:50

Although I love The Onion and have for many years, it's impossible to not conclude that there's been a slow resistance built up to the pointless nature of many "news" items.

They've made it permissible for "actual news" organizations to run with the trifling and the bizarre.

Check some of the sidebars on Huffington Post or AOL. Some of them feel like they ought to be links to "actual" Onion items.

Whale slavery? C'mon.

Reply To This Message

Date:   02-09-12 16:58

One of the major headlines on the StL website this morning was this obituary for a man who lost his beloved harmonica in last spring's tornadoes.

http://tinyurl.com/73zq8lp

Seems like he was a decent enough old fella, but this is more proof that St. Louis definitely is in the grips of the proverbial slow news week.

Oh well, there might be snow flurries tonight. That ought to be enough to get the nightly news casts worked up enough to incite the traditional French Toast Riots that break out here every time snow is predicted.

Reply To This Message

Author: erikalbany 
Date:   02-09-12 20:12

It's shameful to see a publication pandering to such sensationalism.

Reply To This Message

Date:   02-10-12 10:15

French Toast Riots? That's gotta be right up there with Popeye Week in Chester, Illinois.

Reply To This Message

Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   02-10-12 10:47

French Toast Riots - there's a band name waiting to be discovered.

Reply To This Message

Date:   02-10-12 12:48

The French Toast Riots are a cherished winter tradition in St. Louis. Any time there's even a hint of a possibility of a chance that snow might fall, the local news shifts into apocalyptic hyperbole mode and convinces the populace that the Lou is about to become an Arctic wasteland and so everyone had better get to the grocery store RIGHT NOW and load up on bread, milk and eggs because it's going to be months before we can dig our way back out of this shitstorm.

And the bizarre thing is, people take this advice, despite the fact that in my near 50 years of living in the area St. Louis has never been brought to a standstill by a blizzard for more than 24 hours at the most. Yet a couple of times each winter the local news manages to cause chaos at the local grocer by dispatching everyone on a life or death mission to immediately stock up on the fixin's for French toast.

It's really pretty entertaining, unless you have the misfortune of actually needing groceries that day. Then you're screwed.

Reply To This Message

Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   02-10-12 12:50

A town that loves French toast this much is my kinda town. I don't need a blizzard as an excuse.

Reply To This Message

Author: erikalbany 
Date:   02-10-12 13:18

The pending snowstorm hype is even prevalent up here in the northeast (deep in upstate NY). I ran out of dog food before last year's final "snow event," and found myself in the grocery store, in a line that stretched around the entire inner circumference (OK, it's a rectangular store, but I'm weak in geometry) of the place. I said to the guy in front of me, "No matter how bad this storm gets, no one is ever going to need that much Busch Ice Light and bottled water."

Reply To This Message

Date:   02-10-12 15:46

Colorado would seem like a natural, for a place to get hit by snowstorms that can shut a city down. And the Denver area does get socked hard by snow every winter. But just an hour or so south of Denver, the climate is much drier. It's been about 15 years since Colorado Springs got shut down by a snowstorm. And yes, the people here tend to rush the grocery stores and stock up, whenever the weather forecasters so much as breathe the word "snowstorm" on the air.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org