Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Rock Hall
Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   04-11-12 15:38

I'm going to Cleveland to visit the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, as well as the newly opened Archives. Any recommended exhibits in the former I shouldn't miss?

I'm also attending the Hall of Fame induction. Wish me luck.

Reply To This Message

Re: Rock Hall
Author: Delvin 
Date:   04-11-12 15:40

> I'm also attending the Hall of Fame induction. Wish me luck.

With what?

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-11-12 16:57

With a good experience. Rod Stewart is reuniting with the Faces, but it remains to be seen if he's still capable of singing rock & roll. Guns 'N Roses has, unsurprisingly, refused to reunite, so who knows who'll be performing G'n' R songs? (Slash and Duff McKagan will be backing up Donovan instead.) Ditto Laura Nyro, since she's long gone. The Red Hot Chili Peppers are being inducted instead of the MC5, Thin Lizzy, Kiss, etc. etc. There could be unexpected magic. Or it could be enormously painful.

At least it'll be an adventure, I hope. I've never been to Cleveland. I hear Blue Arrow Records and Music Saves are the cool record stores.

Reply To This Message

Author: hoip chiggs 
Date:   04-11-12 18:42

Red Hot Chilis instead of MC5, huh?

You got the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Shame instead. The Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame is in your head.

Reply To This Message

Author: breno 
Date:   04-12-12 10:38

I'm hoping to make it back to Cleveland this year and revisit the museum. But more to the point, there's a wax museum of the Bible about an hour or so south of Cleveland that I've been itching to visit since not being able to find it last time I was out that way.

Also, I've discovered that the grave of Paul Lynde is located along my route from StL to Cleveland, and that's another can't miss destination.

Reply To This Message

Author: Nile 
Date:   04-12-12 15:06

breno wrote:

> I'm hoping to make it back to Cleveland this year and revisit
> the museum. But more to the point, there's a wax museum of the
> Bible about an hour or so south of Cleveland that I've been
> itching to visit since not being able to find it last time I
> was out that way.
>
> Also, I've discovered that the grave of Paul Lynde is located
> along my route from StL to Cleveland, and that's another can't
> miss destination.

That's our Breno, Livin' La Vida Loca.

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-12-12 15:09

Hell yeah. I might even go to Cincinnati and check out the dinosaur with a saddle on it at the Creationist Museum.

Reply To This Message

Author: Jermoe 
Date:   04-12-12 15:15

Reply To This Message

Author: Nile 
Date:   04-12-12 15:19

breno wrote:

> Hell yeah. I might even go to Cincinnati and check out the
> dinosaur with a saddle on it at the Creationist Museum.

If you do make sure to bring me back a pic of you saddled up and waving your hat around like Slim Pickins.

That would be AWESOME.

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-13-12 21:53

Aw, man:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/rod-stewart-too-sick-to-attend-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-induction-20120413

Mother. Scratcher.

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-14-12 00:02

GodDAMN IT! This is what I was most looking forward to! Grrr...

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-15-12 03:17

I met Glyn Johns tonight. Holy crapola.

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-15-12 18:22

This makes my excitement about viewing Madness live on Youtube seem a bit lame. Just a bit.

So, other than that, Mr. Toland, how was the show?

Reply To This Message

Author: STEVE 
Date:   04-16-12 00:56

this is rock

Reply To This Message

Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   04-16-12 08:47

Quote:

Also, I've discovered that the grave of Paul Lynde is located along my route from StL to Cleveland, and that's another can't miss destination.

Templeton the Rat from Charlotte's Web wrinkles his nose in tribute.

Please please please tell me you're not playing a very morbid game of Tic-Tac-Toe that involves visiting the grave sites of all the dead celebrities from Hollywood Squares.

Reply To This Message

Author: hoip chiggs 
Date:   04-16-12 09:59

Btw, how's George Gobel doing? Now there was a rocker.

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-16-12 13:07

> Also, I've discovered that the grave of Paul Lynde is located along my route ...

And lo, another band name is born.

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-16-12 13:54

Quote:

Please please please tell me you're not playing a very morbid game of Tic-Tac-Toe that involves visiting the grave sites of all the dead celebrities from Hollywood Squares.

Nah. But if I find out a celebrity gravesite is near a route I'm traveling anyhow, I'll stop by and pay my respects.

Though on occasion, I'll make a special trip to visit one:

http://tinyurl.com/7pse385

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-16-12 14:11

I'll probably make a stop to pay my respects to Hendrix this weekend.

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-16-12 14:57

Not quite what it could have been, given that the only complete band to show up was the Red Hot Chili Peppers. (And Donovan, who's not a band, but you know what I mean.)

Only two Beasties came - Adam Yauch being presumably too ill to attend - so no Beasties performance. (Instead it was the Roots, with Black Thought, Kid Rock and some guy from Gym Class Heroes filling in.) We all know Axl Rose refused to show, so it was the Use Your Illusion tour lineup who performed, with Myles Kennedy, the singer for Alter Bridge and Slash's solo band, in his place. (Kennedy has the chops but not the charisma.) Laura Nyro and Freddie King have both passed away, of course, but Sara Bareilles and ZZ Top (with Joe Bonamassa and Derek Trucks) filled in admirably there.

But, of course, I imagine what everybody here wants to know about is the Faces. True, Mick Hucknall filled in for Rod, but he's played with them before, so the right chemistry was there. They did the Small Faces' "All or Nothing" first, then "Ooh La La" and "Stay With Me." The band looked like they were having an absolute ball, especially Ron Wood. Hucknall had this look on his face like "I can't believe I get to do this" and sang great. The joy radiating off that stage as these old friends played together was infectious. They were the first band to bring the audience to their feet without prompting, and that was during "All or Nothing," a song I guarantee a good 75% of the crowd had probably never heard before. When they did "Stay With Me," they blew the fuckin' roof off the place.

I hope to write my experience up for Blurt soon, so more details later, hopefully.

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-18-12 10:02

Thanks for the synopsis, Michael. Here's the latest from the Axl drama:

http://stereogum.com/1005112/axl-rose-apologizes-to-cleveland/news/

He has some valid points.

Reply To This Message

Author: erikalbany 
Date:   04-18-12 10:13

"I still donít exactly know or understand what the Hall is or how or why it makes money, where the money goes, who chooses the voters and why anyone or this board decides who, out of all the artists in the world that have contributed to this genre, officially ďrockĒ enough to be in the Hall?

This isnít an attack. These are genuine issues I donít have enough verified information on to have more than rough ideas. Certainly not enough information to make any judgments about."

Pretty level-headed, if you ask me. . .

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org