Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Bob Mould on Letterman
Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   09-05-12 09:55

Details.

Reply To This Message

Re: Bob Mould on Letterman
Author: nosepail 
Date:   09-05-12 10:46

O man. This is so good. I cant wait to hit the record store tonight. Great background vocals by the bassist.

p.s. He's got my exact same guitar, I think. 1988 metallic green Fender Strat Plus (?) Probably wrong about that.

Post Edited (09-05-12 11:12)

Reply To This Message

Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   09-05-12 10:54

It's an American Standard, for whatever that's worth. He talks about acquiring that guitar in his bio.

The bassist is Jason Narducy from Verbow/Jason & Alison. This may be his best band since Sugar. Wurster is a monster, and he looks like he's having a blast.

Reply To This Message

Author: zoo 
Date:   09-05-12 13:38

Well, that rocked. Good to see Bob doing what he does best.

Reply To This Message

Author: zwirnm 
Date:   09-05-12 16:17

Saturday! 9:30 Club in DC. Who's there?

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-05-12 16:52

Then head North to Boston for Monday! Nose will provide all adult beverages.

Reply To This Message

Author: Paganizer 
Date:   09-06-12 08:24

Hey give my regards to Boston
Ask 'em who'll buy the beer
(Don't wanna get pop, find yourself a rockin' chair)

Reply To This Message

Author: Heff 
Date:   09-07-12 09:05

zwirnm wrote:

> Saturday! 9:30 Club in DC. Who's there?

Hey - sent you an email at your zwirn.com address.

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-10-12 08:24

How was it, gentlemen?

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-10-12 10:05

I thought Mould was awesome. Did all of Copper Blue, blazing through at a blistering pace (unfortunately losing some subtlety like the psychedelic flourishes of "Hoover Dam" and singing doot-doot-doots along in lieu of the acoustic guitar of "If I Can't Change Your Mind.") Then he started new material from Silver Age including the awesome "Descent" but instead of doing that while album he ripped into Hüsker Dü greatest hits - "I Apologize," "Celebrated Summer," "Makes No Sense at All," etc. I am on a train typing from my phone but will write more later.

Then we walked a half mission and got our ears melted by Mission of Burma at the Black Cat... Hit my 80s punk quotient for the year in one evening.

Reply To This Message

Author: Heff 
Date:   09-10-12 12:37

All can I say is 'ditto'

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-11-12 07:57

Bob was absolutely amazing. Copper Blue was face-melting and the new songs held up well by comparison. Watching him play guitar is beautiful - it is just such a effortless and powerful physical act with him. The band sounded incredible too, especially the bassist whose background vocals took these songs to another level. Some of the songs were simply done too fast - it kind of ruined "Good Idea" - but when Bob launched into Chartered Trips at hyperspeed, well...it's hard not to lose control. Great show

And Cymbals Eat Guitars opened - an amazing band! Catch this tour if possible. You will never have this chance to be surrounded by so many bald, middle aged men again.

Post Edited (09-11-12 10:07)

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   09-11-12 11:06

Ohhh man, you guys are making me hungry ... Darn the luck, he's gonna be in Seattle while my parents are visiting. No worries, though. If last Friday's Blondie/Devo gig is any indication, there are plenty of clubs and theaters' worth of middle-aged bald guys in my future.

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-11-12 22:06

Bring your parents!

Actually the darned iPhone autocorrect had some weird insertions - we did not "walk a half mission" - we walked a "half mile," and I completely forgot that Mould's first "oldie" after he'd done a few from SILVER AGE was "Hardly Getting Over It" and, yes, he did "Chartered Trips." Can't recall other specific tracks but as "Heff" can report, the crowd was ecstatic. I need to look up if he was doing the similar mix of Hüsker Dü stuff in other venues...

I would totally have loved if he'd done some of the Sugar era b-sides - which were awesome. I have the BESIDES compilation with the brutal THE JOKE IS ALWAYS ON US SOMETIMES live album and there are some killer songs there.

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-18-12 14:11

My parents decided to leave a day early. So we'll be going to see Bob Mould tonight!

Reply To This Message

Author: rhettlawrence 
Date:   09-18-12 19:49

Way to chase 'em off, Delvin!

I'm going tomorrow in Portland too.

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-19-12 11:08

Jeez, what a great show! Between the fact that I hadn't expected to go, and the enthusiasm my wife had for this gig, I walked in with pretty high hopes. Mould did not disappoint. This was the third time I've seen him, and the first time I remember him smiling during the set. He and his bandmates (who look young enough to be Bob's sons) sure looked like they were having a great time.

I can't say much more that Nose, Zwirn et al haven't already said. (Mould and Burma in one evening? Zwirn, you lucky bastard!) The Thermals were an excellent opening act.

SETLIST:
The Act We Act
A Good Idea
Changes
Helpless
Hoover Dam
The Slim
If I Can't Change Your Mind
Fortune Teller
Slick
Man on the Moon
Star Machine
The Descent
Round the City Square
Circles
Silver Age
I Apologize
Chartered Trips
Keep Believing

Encore:
Celebrated Summer
Makes No Sense At All

Not a very high percentage of middle-aged bald men in the crowd. The audience did skew heavily male ... and, for a rock show like this one, surprisingly well-dressed and well-groomed.

The venue (Showbox at the Market) reminds me of the Fillmore in Denver, except half the size ... and with more bars. God, I love Seattle.

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-19-12 11:29

The Mission of Burma was mostly Heff's idea - I'm not that big a fan. So we walked the half-mile together, and got our ears shredded twice in an evening.

Reply To This Message

Author: rhettlawrence 
Date:   09-20-12 12:42

Plenty of balding/graying men in the crowd here last night, including a coupla the guys I was with. I don't have the new album yet, so I can't verify that the songs from it were the same, but otherwise it was an identical set here. I was somewhat disappointed not to have been thrown a changeup after reading Delvin's setlist yesterday, but I can't complain too loudly about the HuDu song selection. And not having seen Superchunk in many years, it was nice to see that Jon Wurster's skills have not declined one whit. Fun show.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org