Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 BBC: R.I.P. -- whoops, Happy Birthday -- Mark E. Smith
Author: BCE 
Date:   03-05-17 21:47

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/showbiz-news/bbc-mark-e-smith-birthday-12695198

Reply To This Message

Re: BBC: R.I.P. -- whoops, Happy Birthday -- Mark E. Smith
Author: hoip chiggs 
Date:   03-07-17 12:34

Yaaaah,, there ya go. More birthdays here, please, and less RIPs aahhh!!!

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   03-08-17 15:23

> More birthdays here, please, and less RIPs aahhh!!!

I do what I can, every week-ahh.

Reply To This Message

Author: breno 
Date:   03-09-17 21:56

You want birthday wishes? John Cale is 75 today! And The Velvet Underground and Nico will be 50 in a couple of days.

Today is also the 30th birthday of The Joshua Tree, my sixth favorite U2 album.

And the 25th birthdays of Going Blank Again by Ride and Doppelganger by Curve, making this day in 1992 a pretty significant day the Shoegazing set.

Reply To This Message

Author: nosepail 
Date:   03-13-17 23:42

Happy Birthday, Mark! I listened to Your Future, Our Clutter in your honor today.

There are 5 better U2 albums than The Joshua Tree? I always that was one of the few really blockbuster albums that deserved it. Even my freakin' dad loved that album, and he likes no rock.

Reply To This Message

Author: breno 
Date:   03-14-17 12:01

Quote:

There are 5 better U2 albums than The Joshua Tree?

Well, that's strictly personal preference on my part, of course. But I definitely prefer Boy, War, Achtung Baby and Zooropa to The Joshua Tree. And I'm not sure if I actually think All That You Can't Leave Behind is a better album, but I'm more likely to listen to it all the way through.

Heck, I prefer the best parts of The Unforgettable Fire and No Line on the Horizon to Joshua Tree, but the bad parts of those albums are so appallingly bad that they drag the whole albums way down.

We've had the pre-ordained classic discussion before, but I've just always felt that The Joshua Tree was a perfectly good album that got hailed as a masterpiece because everyone was primed for it to be one. It was the Sgt. Pepper of the 80s.

Actually, it was just for the second half of the 80s. Synchronicity filled the bill for the first half. Everyone just knew that The Police were primed to drop a Very, Very Important Statement, and then everyone swooned accordingly, not really caring to notice just how very silly songs like "King of Pain" were.

Reply To This Message

Author: zoo 
Date:   03-14-17 13:04

War and The Unforgettable Fire are all the U2 anyone needs IMO.

Reply To This Message

Author: Post-Punk Monk 
Date:   03-14-17 13:55

Some swooned for "Synchronicity." I barfed. The songs released as videos were so poor, that I never heard a copy until buying "Message In A Box" a decade later. I had owned all of the preceding albums.

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

http://postpunkmonk.wordpress.com/
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Post Edited (03-14-17 13:56)

Reply To This Message

Author: zoo 
Date:   03-14-17 16:01

I was 12 years old when Synchronicty came out, and I thought it was the greatest thing ever. Then I didn't listen for a long time, and when I heard it again with adult ears, I realized it was not so great, to put it mildly.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org