Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Poptones
Author: Heff 
Date:   04-05-17 14:37

Kevin Haskins and Daniel Ash (with Ash's daughter, Diva) are getting together as Poptones. Apparently, it will be heavy on Tones on Tail material

So far no East Coast dates, but here's hoping:

April 20: Swing House Studios, Los Angeles, CA
April 21: Swing House Studios, Los Angeles, CA
May 11: The Marquee, Tempe, AZ
May 12: Brooklyn Bowl, Las Vegas, AZ
May 15: House of Blues, Anaheim, CA
May 17: House of Blues, San Diego, CA
May 19: The Teragram Ballroom, Los Angeles, CA
May 20: The Glass House, Pomona, CA
May 30: Rio Theatre, Santa Cruz, CA
May 31: Strummer’s, Fresno, CA
June 2: Neptune, Theatre, Seattle, WA
June 3: Wonder Ballroom, Portland, OR
June 4: Rickshaw Theatre, Vancouver, BC
June 6: Ace of Spades, Sacramento, CA
June 7: Regency Ballroom, San Francisco, CA
June 21: The Depot, Salt Lake City, UT
June 22: Gothic Theatre, Englewood, CO
June 23: Boulder Theater, Boulder, CO
June 25: Madrid Theatre, Kansas City, MO
July 8: First Avenue, Minneapolis, MN
July 9: Metro, Chicago, IL

Reply To This Message

Re: Poptones
Author: Post-Punk Monk 
Date:   04-05-17 16:39

I'd certainly be interested in that if it came nearby. At the least, I do see that David J will be in Asheville on June 16, so there's that to keep me busy.

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Reply To This Message

Author: MrFab 
Date:   04-05-17 18:54

How many disappointed PiL fans will be showing up to see a band with a name like that?!

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-06-17 09:48

Truth be told, I thought this was going to be a PiL thread!

Reply To This Message

Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   04-06-17 10:16

I thought it was going to be about Alan McGee's short-lived successor to Creation Records.

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   04-06-17 12:13

Interesting how they're covering certain areas with rather intense focus, then dropping dates for a week or two at a time. What would be behind that? Unable to get visas/work permits for more than two weeks at a time?

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-06-17 13:03

Ash has lived in the States for many years, so I doubt that's it. Maybe just taking a couple of weeks off between legs.

David J has been pretty active on the touring front the last few years. I wonder if that helped Ash shake the dust off.

Personally I'd love to see Ash and J settle whatever their differences are and do a Love & Rockets tour. I never got to see them back in the day.

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-06-17 15:04

> Personally I'd love to see Ash and J settle whatever their differences are and do a Love &
> Rockets tour. I never got to see them back in the day.

Neither did I. My wife said they were incredible, though.

All this time, I've assumed that Murphy was the odd man out amidst the Bauhaus members. (Maybe he is, and David J is just the ... well, the other odd man out.) I'm just glad I got to see Bauhaus on that last tour. They were astonishing.

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-06-17 15:31

I always sort of took L+R for granted; they were never a favorite, though I liked them well enough. I caught them once in '98 or something and they were good, but they never had the cachet of Murphy tours from '88-'96. The Bauhaus tour of 2000 was excellent, but I never knew there was a 2nd one until years afterward. The last Murphy show I caught was like a comedy show with pedestrian rock between riffs. I'd be up for this. As I said, David J is also touring, but I'd like to hear Tones On Tail material much more than Love + Rockets stuff. That comprehensive T.O.T. 2xCD some years back was a wonder.

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-06-17 15:57

Ash gave an interview a few years ago where he said he had no interest in L&R anymore, that he'd been working with the same people for so long that he wanted to work with new people. Guess he got over that, since there are a few L&R songs in the Poptone setlists, and he's back with Kevin Haskins. That's what leads me to believe that there's friction between him and J, rather than it really being about being sick of L&R (though he's likely that too).

I've seen J perform - he was good. He did, I think, one L&R song and one Bauhaus song ("Bela," of course - I had no idea he wrote those lyrics), and the rest was solo stuff. Got me into his solo work.

I never saw Bauhaus. I didn't really become a fan until relatively recently (dismissed them as goth for years, before realizing through an article I read a few years ago that they were a postpunk band with more in common with glam than goth), and by then it was too late. I really liked Go Away White - was hoping for a tour around that.

I much prefer L&R and Bauhaus to Tones, but if this tour comes my way, I'll definitely go.

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-07-17 13:04

Michael Toland wrote:

> Personally I'd love to see Ash and J settle whatever their
> differences are and do a Love & Rockets tour. I never got to
> see them back in the day.

Ha! I saw them during their `88 tour and it was probably the worst show I have ever seen. The Mighty Lemon Drops were openers and I missed them. Though, lucky me! I did get to see The Bubblemen dance around to their one song. Then L&R came out and it was like the Beatles were performing -- all of the women in the audience screamed nonstop. I never knew they were also teen idols. They didn't acknowledge the crowd, played through their songs omitting their one big hit at the time - "So Alive". Right before the last song, David J said "We don't normally say 'Thank You' but if we did, we would". This was at the Warner Theater, a step below arenas, so they were a pretty big deal at the time. Fame, being fickle, the next time they came around, their popularity had dropped dramatically and they were a much smaller place.

Reply To This Message

Author: upper90 
Date:   04-07-17 14:08

Bauhaus had some great tunes, as did the other two bands. You can make one hell of a playlist with the best songs from each that is for sure. Myself and a few of my more musically adventurous college mates used to start nights of debauchery with Double Dare and Stigmata Martyr absolutely blasting. The end of DD brings out the caveman/viking in you!! L&R's two albums Seventh and Express were just awesome favorites of mine. When the Minutes Drag, Saudade and American Dream are classics from the era. But Tones on Tail, man what a weird trip. I bought their imports just because the record store owner told me they were associated with Bauhaus. They had some so so tunes, but they had some pure magic with Burning Skies, Go, This is the Pops, Christian Says. I hear all 3 bands influences from time to time in random bands. Dog End of a Day Gone By had to influence some of the Brit pop scenesters to come, another great song from Seventh.

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-07-17 14:43

I bought a Tones compilation from Half Price Books a year or so ago. I need to revisit it.

Reply To This Message

Re: Poptone
Date:   05-05-17 09:26

In case anyone's interested, the band is now offering a digital live album.
Details.

Reply To This Message

Re: Poptone
Author: upper90 
Date:   05-05-17 10:34

Nice find, thanks!!

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-05-17 10:48

> "We don't normally say 'Thank You' but if we did, we would".

That's gotta be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of a performer saying to the audience. Hmmm, I think a new thread is coming ... stand by please ...

Reply To This Message

Author: STEVE 
Date:   05-07-17 22:35

genetic rock is better than generic rock, i always say.

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-23-17 12:19

East coast dates:

Aug. 3: The Stone Pony, Asbury Park, N.J.
Aug. 4: The Trocadero, Philadelphia, PA
Aug. 5: Irving Plaza, New York, NY
Aug. 8: Paradise Rock Club, Boston, MA
Aug. 10: The Ballroom at The Outer Space, Hamden, CT
Aug. 11: Baltimore Soundstage, Baltimore, MD
Aug. 12: The National, Richmond, VA

I know I won't get much sympathy from our Florida, Atlanta, St Louis members but supposedly the Baltimore and Richmond venues are close to 1000 capacity. There are that many people in those markets that will go? Should've been DC.

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-23-17 12:49

Heff, I had much the same thought when I saw that the band had dates for both Boulder and Englewood (a suburb of Denver). Boulder is only about a 30-minute drive from downtown Denver.

Hardly the first band, though, that I've seen schedule both cities. Boulder, of course, has a huge college population that might not have the transportation available to get to Denver easily. Denver, meanwhile, has a big enough population to support a pretty good live music scene, but those music lovers might prefer not to go to Boulder -- a short drive away, but with damn little parking available once you get there.

Reply To This Message

Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   05-23-17 19:42

Quote:

the next time they came around, their popularity had dropped dramatically and they were a much smaller place.

Are you sure that it wasn't just a case of their appeal becoming more selective?

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-08-17 15:47

More dates have been added - it looks like they're ending their tour in Texas.

Anybody seen them yet? As I think I've said before, I never saw Love & Rockets and have long been a fan. I have seen David J solo - maybe I can go see Poptone and combine the two shows in my head for an imaginary L&R show.

A few years ago I read an interview with Daniel Ash in which he made clear that he was sick of L&R and its songs. I guess the lack of income coming in changed his mind.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org