Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Wire in Seattle
Author: Delvin 
Date:   04-10-17 11:50

I hadn't planned to attend this show, but a friend had an extra ticket at the last minute. Lewis, Newman and Grey definitely are getting on; Colin had an iPad on a stand to help him remember the lyrics. (Not the first old-school act I've seen doing this.) And hey, their audience is getting on too. I saw a guy who had arrived at The Crocodile early and had gotten a prime spot in front of the stage ... walker and all. Another guy, right in front of me, had gotten a stool and was staked out on the floor with his oxygen tank.

But the band sounded great -- better than they did at Neumos when I saw them two years ago. (Graham jokingly thanked the audience for finding their way over from Neumos. I guess that venue has become Wire's go-to booking, the past few years.) Not too surprisingly, "Three Girl Rhumba" roused the audience more than anything else that night. In fact, after the applause faded for that one, the audience started shouting requests ... one person shouting, "Play that one again!"

SETLIST:
Boiling Boy
Diamonds in Cups
An Alibi
This Time
Three Girl Rhumba
The Art of Persistence
Brio
Underwater Experiences
Red Barked Trees
Small Black Reptile
Keep Exhaling
Split Your Ends
Playing Harp for the Fishes
Short Elevated Period
Over Theirs

ENCORE:
Silver/Lead
Ahead
Stealth of a Stork

An electronic duo called Golden Retriever opened the show. We stuck around for part of their first song, and decided we'd rather go back to the pub and continue our conversation.

Reply To This Message

Re: Wire in Seattle
Author: Heff 
Date:   04-10-17 13:29

Lucky. Wire skipped the East Coast this time. Maybe later this year. You're right about their appearance. Colin Newman looks like a small town college professor.

I love how Wire always shakes up the set list. The only thing guaranteed is that their latest album is going to be referenced heavily.

Reply To This Message

Author: breno 
Date:   04-10-17 13:46

I just checked out Golden Retriever on Spotify. I think you & your friend made the right call. I can't imagine that 20 minute long synthesizer drones would make for a particularly interesting live set.

They might be cool if you're lying in a bean bag chair with headphones. a bong and staring at blacklight posters, but they would be excruciating to hang around watching in a club.

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   04-10-17 13:56

> You're right about their appearance. Colin Newman looks like a small town college professor.

Graham Lewis looks like the guy who used to beat up Newman for his lunch money when they were kids.

> They might be cool if you're lying in a bean bag chair with headphones. a bong and staring
> at blacklight posters, but they would be excruciating to hang around watching in a club.

I hear ya, Reno. Personally, I haven't listened to music that way in months.

Post Edited (04-10-17 13:57)

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org