Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 R.I.P. J. Geils
Author: breno 
Date:   04-11-17 20:00

http://www.wcvb.com/article/guitarist-known-as-j-geils-found-dead-in-massachusetts-home/9263211

Reply To This Message

Re: R.I.P. J. Geils
Author: zoo 
Date:   04-12-17 13:28

So, I'm not too cool to admit that I like some, if not a lot, of J. Geils Band's music. They were a fun band that could deliver the goods live. I haven't listened to them in a while, but to commemorate J's passing, I'll give Monkey Island or Sanctuary a spin at some point today.

Reply To This Message

Author: hoip chiggs 
Date:   04-12-17 13:29

Ya, think I'll watch the Centerfold music video.

Reply To This Message

Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   04-12-17 13:59

They're a band I've always felt I needed to give a chance, but I just haven't gotten 'round to it.

Oddly, Geils hadn't been a member of the band that bears his name in several years.

Reply To This Message

Author: zoo 
Date:   04-12-17 14:22

Settled on the Nightmares album. Good stuff. Opens with one of their better tunes ("Detroit Breakdown"). Solid album, IMO. Going to move on to another now. Michael, why don't you give it a listen? All of their stuff is on Spotify for your on-demand listening pleasure.

Post Edited (04-12-17 16:21)

Reply To This Message

Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   04-16-17 12:59

Death stinks.

Reply To This Message

Author: STEVE 
Date:   04-24-17 00:13

i saw U2 open for J Geils in west palm beach auditorium in 1981. it was so easy getting up front. people called u2, yo hoo. like the watered down chocolate drink. i remember everyone around me for that show left to go to the parking lot to either fuck or get high.

I sceamed at them, "this is gonna be the biggest band in the world someday!" They gave me the flick though, however, those same people, plus many more, came back forty five minutes later just to hear 'centerfold' i thought to myself, Faye Dunaway married this wanker?

BOY (sorry), was i naive back then.

Post Edited (04-24-17 00:20)

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   04-24-17 10:43

Thank you, Steve! The J. Geils tour with U2 opening came through CO as well. For years, after U2 hit it big, I would comment that they'd played in the state at least four times before the famous Red Rocks show. When I'd mention the part about them opening for J. Geils, though, everyone would respond as if I just had to be pulling their leg. "The band that did 'Centerfold'? U2 opened for them? Yeah right ..." Glad to know someone else can validate this ... or at least had the same hallucinatory experience I had.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org