Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 The Damned in Seattle
Author: Delvin 
Date:   04-18-17 11:21

The Damned gave a great set last Sunday at the Showbox -- not as much sheer fun as the show I saw in Denver in 2001, but still great. Dave Vanian apparently has injured his arm recently. He wore his arm in a sling -- a black one, naturally. He also didn't have his usual vampiric look, settling on a black dress shirt, black jeans and shades. Perhaps that look is a bit too complicated to achieve when you don't have the use of both arms.

Captain Sensible wore his usual red beret and colorful, mix-and-mismatch attire. The band was tight, and sounded great.

SETLIST:
Melody Lee
Generals
Disco Man
I Just Can't Be Happy Today
Alone Again Or
Love Song/Second Time Around
Machine Gun Etiquette
Street of Dreams
Eloise
Ignite
Stranger on the Town
Plan 9 Channel 7
Wait for the Blackout
The History of the World (Part 1
New Rose
Neat Neat Neat

ENCORE 1:
Jet Boy Jet Girl
Noise Noise Noise
Smash It Up

ENCORE 2:
White Rabbit
Anti-Pope

Opening act was an all-female quartet called Bleached. Fairly typical junior-league opener: plenty of rock attitude, but short on memorable tunes.

Reply To This Message

Re: The Damned in Seattle
Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   04-18-17 12:16

No previews of the upcoming album, it looks like. Otherwise, what a setlist!

Both times I've seen the Damned Vanian was dressed as you described him, though he wore black gloves instead of sun glasses when I saw them on the Grave Disorder tour. Does he still do the vampire thing anymore?

Reply To This Message

Author: Heff 
Date:   04-18-17 12:17

Good stuff! Always a treat to see them.

> He also didn't have his usual vampiric look, settling on a
> black dress shirt, black jeans and shades.

I think Vanian has ditched that look now. Everytime I've seen him lately, he's done some variation on what you saw. I guess he might look too much like a vampire now, better to go with the aging gigolo theme.

Reply To This Message

Author: zoo 
Date:   04-18-17 12:26

I'm seriously thinking about seeing them when they come to my neck of the woods in May. I saw them on the "Last Damned Tour" in 1989.

As for Vanian, I'm glad he ditched the butler-with-a-monocle look from a few years ago. That was a little nutty, and he can pull of a much cooler look than that.

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   04-18-17 14:20

> I guess he might look too much like a vampire now, better to go with the aging gigolo theme.

That's a good way to describe it. With the gray in his goatee, he doesn't look much like a vampire in his own right. Personally, I've always thought he made that look (or any number of variations on it) work well for him. He wore a black velvet suit with blood-red vest, spats, hair slicked back and shades when I saw them on the Grave Disorder tour -- he looked great.

Reply To This Message

Author: breno 
Date:   04-18-17 14:37

Going to their show Friday night in StL. I was pretty happy to see that Bleached are opening, as I like them quite a bit.

Also found out that the Violent Femmes/Echo and the Bunnymen tour added a stop in St. Louis. It's at the damn amphitheater, which I have doubts is absolutely necessary - the Femmes didn't even sell out the mid-sized theater they played in last summer and I doubt the Bunnymen are that much bigger of a draw - but I guess the amphitheater had an open Saturday night in July and figured what the hell.

Reply To This Message

Author: upper90 
Date:   04-18-17 16:30

Does anyone know if the Bunnymen have Ian touring? Or is it replacement guy? Not that he is bad as I actually quite liked some stuff with him on board. I would like to see them again. Last time was a lifetime ago at Miami University in 1988. Only got to see the Femmes one time as well, 1986? Bogarts in Clifton Oh. Speaking of that place, Damned is there next Thursday. Should be a great show, set lists looking pretty good. I recommend Don't You Wish That We Were Dead if you are a fan. It is really well done for the most part.

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-18-17 17:03

The Bunnymen are currently McCulloch, Sergeant and hired hands.

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-22-17 02:17

Same setlist in St. Louis, except they swapped out "White Rabbit" for "Nasty" in the second encore, to which I say yay for us. "Jet Boy Jet Girl" got a nice little Chuck Berry intro from the Captain, who apparently was unaware StL was Chuck's hometown until he happened upon the Chuck statue up the street from the venue, which he thought was very cool.

I thought Vanian was looking quite Mandy Patinkin-ish.

The band (or at least the Captain) also seem to have spent their afternoon at the Museum of Transportation looking at old trains, apparently a major interest for them - it would pretty much have to be if they (or he) went to the trouble of getting there while in town for a day. It's not exactly well-known or easy to get to.

It's always interesting to me to find out what a band does with their spare time when in town on tour. I recall Patti Smith talking about visiting the grave of William S. Burroughs, then going to the Courtesy Diner to try the local delicacy The Slinger. (A burger, eggs and hash browns covered in chili and cheese. No, I don't know why Patti Smith wanted one.)

Post Edited (04-22-17 07:05)

Reply To This Message

Author: Heff 
Date:   04-24-17 12:42

breno wrote:

> The band (or at least the Captain) also seem to have spent
> their afternoon at the Museum of Transportation looking at old
> trains, apparently a major interest for them

Yes, Captain Sensible is a huge trainspotter. According to his postings on facebook, there are two things he does when touring - 1) look at trains and 2) try all sorts of vegetarian places.

I've said this before but he is a very entertaining writer.

Reply To This Message

Author: zoo 
Date:   04-24-17 14:50

Quote:

then going to the Courtesy Diner to try the local delicacy The Slinger. (A burger, eggs and hash browns covered in chili and cheese. No, I don't know why Patti Smith wanted one.)

Umm...because it sounds absolutely delicious? To me at least!

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org