Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 No, I'm NOT the singer
Author: breno 
Date:   04-19-17 08:35

The passing of J. Geils and the subsequent assumption by multitudes of people that he was the guy who sang "Love Stinks" and "Centerfold" got me thinking about other bands named after members other than the vocalist, much to the confusion of people who don't pay much attention.

Brinsley Schwarz
Fleetwood Mac
Manfred Mann
Manfred Mann's Earth Band
Santana

Honorable mention to Elvin Bishop, who does sing, but did not sing his most famous song.

Honorable honorable mention to Paul Gardiner, who, to my knowledge, released one single, a song written by Gary Numan and featuring Gary Numan on vocals.

Reply To This Message

Re: No, I'm NOT the singer
Author: Delvin 
Date:   04-19-17 09:53

Which one's Pink?

Reply To This Message

Author: breno 
Date:   04-19-17 10:29

And of course, there's Vincent Furnier, vocalist for the band Alice Cooper, who had to give in and take the name Alice Cooper himself because everyone assumed it was his name.

But that's a totally different thing from the original topic. So never mind.

Post Edited (04-19-17 11:11)

Reply To This Message

Author: zoo 
Date:   04-19-17 11:29

Van Halen? Or does anyone really think someone named Van Halen sings for the band? Everyone knows it was DLR or Hagar (or Gary Cherone for a bit), right? But I guess it fits the description from the original post.

Others:
Alan Parsons Project
Michael Schenker Group

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   04-19-17 12:45

> Van Halen? Or does anyone really think someone named Van Halen sings for the band?

No, but given that they replaced Michael Anthony with Eddie's son Wolfgang, it wouldn't be surprising if they dig up a singer from some collateral line of the family. Then all four band members will share that last name. (Alex has a son who's in his twenties. I'm guessing, though, that he can't sing, because if he could, his dad and uncle probably would've recruited him by now.)

Incidentally, when Sammy joined the band, people would jokingly call the new lineup "Van Hagar." Sammy laughed at that himself in his memoir, because that was his family name, before his ancestors emigrated to America from the Netherlands.

Post Edited (04-20-17 10:29)

Reply To This Message

Author: Aitch 
Date:   04-19-17 20:15

Does Grandmaster Flash count?

Reply To This Message

Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   04-20-17 08:52

Definitely. I thought for years he was the rapper.

Reply To This Message

Author: Philippe 
Date:   04-21-17 05:53

The Spencer Davis Group

Reply To This Message

Author: BCE 
Date:   04-21-17 06:21

Molly Hatchett
Milo Greene
Paxton Quigley
Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org