Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Put That Burger Down! - Morrissey Biopic
Author: mats84 
Date:   07-10-17 16:47

Just kidding on that title.

This is apparently the Morrissey "early years" era film, you know where he had Hand In Glove written but hadn't released Hand In Glove.

Not that something like that sounds too cinematic but ya never can tell .........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A_orGeFFhk

Post Edited (07-10-17 16:51)

Reply To This Message

Re: Put That Bellow Down! - Mike Peters doc
Author: breno 
Date:   07-10-17 17:06

On the topic of TP related movies, just heard Mike Peters of the Alarm being interviewed about this today.

http://maninthecamojacket.com/trailer/

If I saw the photo on that page without anyone telling me it was Peters, I would think it was Lucinda Williams.

The Alarm are actually playing St. Louis in August, but they're going to be at the same demon's anus of a venue that ruined my so-far only opportunity to ever see the Church last summer, and I've vowed never to set foot in the dump again.

But anyhow, I was never a die-hard Alarm fan, but I liked them well enough and Peters seems like a genuinely decent bloke, so I think I might see if this is streaming anywhere tonight. Plus, the credits show that Captain Sensible is in it, and I'm always up for hearing the Captain address any topic.

Post Edited (07-10-17 17:54)

Reply To This Message

Re: Put That Burger Down! - Morrissey Biopic
Author: Post-Punk Monk 
Date:   07-11-17 08:08

Lucinda Williams? I have to admit that I've been obsessively poring over Elvis Costello + The Imposters "The Delivery Man" of late and I walked away from it convinced that EC had managed to pull a late-in-the-game classic out of his many chapeaux when I least expected it. As for the duet he performed on it with Lucinda Williams, after many listens, I finally noticed Costello... barely! Ms. Williams seemed like a femme Keith Richards who was willing to pay more than lip service to country music. Must investigate further!

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Reply To This Message

Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   07-11-17 10:03

Start with her self-titled album - it's a bonafide classic, one of the best singer/songwriter records ever made, and probably the model of what we now call Americana. I say that because when it was out, you'd have a review in one magazine calling it the "country album of the year," another calling it the "rock & roll album of the year," another the "blues album," another the "folk album," etc. I figured if the critics couldn't fit her under a single banner, there had to be something special going on.

Reply To This Message

Author: breno 
Date:   07-11-17 10:16

Quote:

Start with her self-titled album, it's a bonafide classic, one of the best singer/songwriter records ever made

Every word of that is true. In fact, it could even be considered faint praise. It's easily one of the very best albums of the 80s, a decade that in my opinion was stuffed to the gills with great albums, so that's saying something. Sweet Old World is also a classic and one of the best albums of the 90s.

I have a self-imposed gag order on everything that follows. Although I don't mind Essence and Little Honey too much. And to be honest, I haven't even bothered to listen to anything following Little Honey, so I might like those if I cared enough anymore to check them out.

Reply To This Message

Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   07-11-17 10:33

After your nemesis Car Wheels in a Gravel Road, she became one of those artists whose records I dutifully bought, listened to once, then put on the shelf. The last one I bought was Down Where the Spirit Meets the Bone, which I had been assured was a return to her glory days. I listened to almost nothing else for a week and never heard anything special in it. I divested myself of it and everything post-Car Wheels and haven't missed any of 'em.

But then, I've also grown weary of the whole Americana thing - it went from refreshing to boring pretty quickly. Folks who still appreciate that sound will have a very different opinion.

I wouldn't trade my self-titled (or Sweet Old World, for that matter) for another record by anyone, I don't think. And while I don't think Car Wheels is on par with either of those, it still has enough good tracks to make it worth keeping, at least for me.

Monk, her self-titled and SOW are gold.

Reply To This Message

Re: Put That Bellow Down! - Mike Peters doc
Author: zoo 
Date:   07-12-17 08:07

That Mike Peters film looks quite interesting!

As for Morrissey...interesting as well, but more in a "I'm hoping for laugh-out-loud moments when it's not supposed to be funny" way. Sorry, but I just can't take the Moz seriously, no matter how seriously he takes himself. And a serious attempt to dramatize his early adulthood sounds ripe for such a train wreck. But I could be dead wrong and it might be great, so I guess I shouldn't be so cynical about such things.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org