Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 R.I.P. Glen Campbell
Author: breno 
Date:   08-08-17 16:57

https://www.yahoo.com/music/glen-campbell-1936-2017-204219238.html

Reply To This Message

Re: R.I.P. Glen Campbell
Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   08-08-17 17:49

I haven't listened to him in years, but one of my first 45s was "Rhinestone Cowboy," which I played over and over.

I'm doing a post for the ACL blog on him. I gotta say, while I knew he was one of the top session cats in L.A. in the 60s, I had no idea he played on the records he played: "Mr. Tambourine Man," "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling," Merle Haggard's "Mama Tried," sessions with Nat King Cole and Frank Sinatra...he had a hell of a career even before he started having hits.

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   08-08-17 18:04

When I interviewed Carol Kaye, she described him as a very talented, intuitive guitarist and an excellent singer. But according to her, he didn't last long as part of that session cabal in L.A. because he couldn't sight-read. He stuck with it for a while, but left studio work.

No matter; before long, he was in sessions where the more "educated" musicians he'd worked with were playing behind him as he recorded his next hit.

Reply To This Message

Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   08-08-17 18:13

I had no idea what a good guitar player he was until I heard this on a compilation of country guitar instrumentals.

"12-String Special'

Reply To This Message

Author: mats84 
Date:   08-08-17 19:16

RIP

His 2011 record "Ghost On The Canvas" was stellar, and he does songs by Westerberg (including the title track), Robert Pollard, Jakob Dylan. On an earlier album he knocked out a very good version of the Mats "Sadly Beautiful" too.

Westy makes a cameo in the video for Ghost On The Canvas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7kw5zXVFVQ

Post Edited (08-08-17 19:25)

Reply To This Message

Author: MrFab 
Date:   08-08-17 20:23

Nick Cave's version of "By The Time I Get To Phoenix" in the '80s introduced me to that spectacular song, which led me to his '60s work in general. Not being a fan of his "Rhinestone Cowboy"/"Southern Nights" period, I hadn't taken him seriously til then.

I have a cool pre-solo stardom guitar instrumental album of his on vinyl that a friend gave me.

He also toured with those "Tequila" boys, The Champs.

Reply To This Message

Author: Post-Punk Monk 
Date:   08-09-17 08:34

I grew up watching the Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour. He was definitely a player, but give me the B.E.F. version of "Wichita Lineman." It was good that the makers of The Wrecking Crew film began filming in 1996. Early enough to have lots of Campbell presence in the film before his Alzheimer's took its toll. Funny how he was the one that made the leap to stardom; all because he couldn't sight read!

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-09-17 10:20

> Funny how he was the one that made the leap to stardom; all because he couldn't sight read!

He had the looks, the voice, and the guitar skills. Plus he knew a good song to record when he heard it. He ended up being Jimmy Webb's best "vehicle," much as Dionne Warwick was for Burt Bacharach & Hal David. "Galveston," "Wichita Lineman" and "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" all hold up beautifully, but Glen's catalog includes plenty of other Webb songs, all well done.

Reply To This Message

Author: breno 
Date:   08-09-17 16:46

One thing that has popped up in several tributes to Campbell (including Jimmy Webb's, who seems like he would know) is when artists he did session work for are listed, the Velvet Underground keeps popping up. Anyone know what VU sessions he was supposedly part of?

Squeeze would be the obvious choice, or even Loaded. But I can't find any source listing him as contributing to either of those.

So did he really do session work for the Velvets, or are people just getting themselves confused by his cover of "Jesus"?

Reply To This Message

Author: MrFab 
Date:   08-09-17 20:12

Whaaa? I'm pretty sure the VU never used session-eers on any of their own recordings. Nico's "Chelsea Girls" was sort of the VU's first-and-a-half album, but the session cats on that one are on flutes and strings.

Glen Campbell covering the Velvets and the Replacements. Never thought I'd see that day. That's so weird, it's like if, I dunno, Anne Murray covered Black Flag or sumthin.

Post Edited (08-09-17 20:29)

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-10-17 09:55

Or Johnny Cash covering Nine Inch Nails, Depeche Mode, Danzig and Soundgarden ... and winning Grammys for it all.

Reply To This Message

Author: Post-Punk Monk 
Date:   08-10-17 10:17

As The Stones said, it's the singer, not the song.

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org