Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Happy 100th
Author: nosepail 
Date:   01-25-17 17:45

Bob Pollard's 100th long-player album comes out in April! It is marketed under the Guided By Voices brand and called "Hiking Skin". I didnt give up on him until his 98th. I might sit this one out too.

Reply To This Message

Re: Happy 100th
Author: breno 
Date:   01-25-17 18:11

It'll pack 100 thirty-second songs into its brisk 50-minute running time.

I haven't kept up with Pollard because it's just too exhausting to try. I still consider myself to be a fan, though - the guy is definitely one of the wonders of the world in his ability to crank out so many memorable melodies that he can afford to squander multitudes of hooks that lesser beings would kill to come up with even a fraction of.

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   01-26-17 10:18

> It'll pack 100 thirty-second songs into its brisk 50-minute running time.

Some artists want to make their Sgt. Pepper, or their White Album. I guess Pollard sees The Residents' Commercial Album as a benchmark to aspire to.

Reply To This Message

Author: hoip chiggs 
Date:   01-27-17 11:23

Is he one of the missing Minutemen or what?

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-11-17 20:54

I bought the CD today at the record store (swore I wouldnt, but couldnt resist).
It's weird but doesnt suck. It's nice to hear someone other than Bob singing on several of the songs. For example, here's a charming tune which makes it easy to forget about Tobin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQzw0kn-GfU

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-12-17 18:20

http://www.magnetmagazine.com/2017/04/11/my-impression-now/

I'm in 2/3 agreement with Eleanor Friedberger and Colin Meloy on this "Pick your three fave Pollard/GBV releases."

I'd go:

Vampire on Titus (my first exposure to them and I still love it)
Bee Thousand (I still consider it their best)
Isolation Drills (the best of their "See, we can edit if we want to!" releases)

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-13-17 10:58

Fred Armisen, actor/comedian/musician
Robert Pollard, Lord Of The Birdcage
Guided By Voices, August By Cake
Guided By Voices, The Bears For Lunch

This sounds sketchy to me, Fred.

I'd personally go:
- Bee Thousand
- Half Smiles of the Decomposed (highly under-rated last album before their original breakup)
- Under the Bushes, Under the Stars

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-13-17 11:18

Quote:

Half Smiles of the Decomposed (highly under-rated last album before their original breakup)

Agree 100%. I've been going through the GBV library the last couple of weeks putting together a Spotify playlist, and listened to that one for the first time in years and kicked myself for not having listened to it more.

Reply To This Message

Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   04-13-17 12:02

That's the album the band was promoting when they appeared on ACL. I thought the 2-3 songs they played from it were the highlights of the show.

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-11-17 09:38

New GBV album came out today, only 3 months after last one! Well reviewed. I'm excited!

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org