Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Final Game Theory record
Author: zwirnm 
Date:   08-16-17 22:32

So, as many of you will know, Scott Miller of Game Theory/Loud Family died in 2013. Omnivore has been reissuing the entire Game Theory catalogue culminating with TWO STEPS FROM THE MIDDLE AGES, and the reissue packages (on CD or vinyl and also streaming) are fantastic.

But, at the same time, Miller's widow Kristine and Ken Stringfellow of the Posies have been collaborating on a final posthumous Game Theory record, Supercalifragile, done as a Kickstarter with a lot of Miller's longtime friends and collaborators, and it just arrived by mail and it's astonishingly good, given the conditions. Miller wrote a bunch of good songs, some of which were quite completed with his vocals and guitar. Others were not recorded, but the shells of the song were written and ready to be fleshed out. Given the number of people Miller worked with over his career, it's not a surprise that a lot of people wanted to take part (former Game Theory and Loud Family bandmates, of course), but the calibre of the guests and co-writers is superb: Aimee Mann, Stringfellow and Jon Auer of the Posies, Peter Buck of R.E.M. (mandolin solo), Will Sheff of Okkervil River, Ted Leo, Mitch Easter, and bunches of others.

Surprisingly, the record actually coheres; it's probably closer to late-period (less weird) Game Theory or early Loud Family, not so experimental and with a bunch of wonderfully crafted songs. "Kristine" by Miller and Will Sheff is magnificent; the somber ballad "No Love" is a great Aimee Mann song that happens to mostly be a great Miller song that Mann sings on; Stringfellow's "Valerie Tomorrow" (many of the songs are named for Miller's family members) a delightful power-pop number.

Although the record is currently only on Kickstarter it should get a proper release, according to Kristine.

Reply To This Message

Re: Final Game Theory record
Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   08-17-17 09:38

I just read about this the other day. I'm looking forward to it.

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-17-17 17:48

http://read.tidal.com/article/listen-to-game-theorys-first-song-in-20-years-featuring-aimee-man

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-24-17 14:12

Posted by Ken Stringfellow (Posies):

"Supercalifragile" by Game Theory is available now, on LP/CD/digital. The album Scott Miller intended to make, before his sudden and tragic death in 2013, finished lovingly by a constellation of his friends -- Mitchell Blake Easter, Aimee Mann, Will Sheff, Douglas Gillard, Jon Auer, Peter Buck, Ted Leo, Jonathan Segel, Anton Barbeau, Stephane Schuck and as many alumni of Game Theory/Loud Family as could be found... Scott's widow Kristine Chambers oversaw the project and I produced the music. I'm very proud to have been involved and as a huge fan of the band, I think this is the album that I would have wanted to emerge from the dark fact of the loss of Scott.

https://gametheory1.bandcamp.com/releases

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org