Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 R I P Jerry Lewis
Author: STEVE 
Date:   08-20-17 21:20

He was a talented man. So, who wants to work labor day?

Post Edited (08-20-17 21:36)

Reply To This Message

Re: R I P Jerry Lewis
Author: hoip chiggs 
Date:   08-20-17 23:58

The King of Comedy - one of the great dark comedies.

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   08-21-17 10:00

The Day the Clown Cried: One of the unknown dark comedies.

Rest in peace, Jerry.

Reply To This Message

Author: MrFab 
Date:   08-21-17 10:59

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2VCKmAmf9V0

Reply To This Message

Author: upper90 
Date:   08-21-17 11:41

I remember staying up all night watching that show many times. One year they promised KISS was going to be on it. All it was was a corny ass quick pre-recorded statement by each band member. I was so disappointed. Then the next year they actually did "perform" but again I had to wait forever and a day and they played a stupid song from Dynasty, and not a good one either. I am pretty sure Jerry said something about them performing this time, maybe he got a little heat from fans for the previous appearance. I don't even think the band was performing, it looked like a precursor to a music video. It was around that time (I was 12) that I moved on from KISS. I ran into my childhood friend recently and he still listens and goes to KISS shows, probably still in the Army! Sure I will crank up the radio when Detroit Rock City, Shout it Out Loud etc come on but I can't recall purposely listening to KISS in decades. I do quite frequently use the phrase "we got a little surprise for you tonight....."

Anyway, loved the telethon and actually enjoyed some of his movies as a kid. Cinderfella was an odd little movie.

Post Edited (08-21-17 14:59)

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-21-17 12:57

Wow ... I wonder what other musical acts of renown appeared on the telethon.

Reply To This Message

Author: Heff 
Date:   08-21-17 17:25

Delvin wrote:

> Wow ... I wonder what other musical acts of renown appeared on
> the telethon.
>

Here's a list, though I think some of them might be suspect. I can't find any video proof that Led Zeppelin (I did find Tony Orlando performing a Led Zeppelin song), the Who, Blondie or the B-52s were on the telecast. I did see Oingo Boing, however.

Jerry Lewis performed in DC a couple of years ago, so I got a chance to see him. It was weird in that there was virtually no promotion for his show and as a result there wasn't really a big crowd. He stayed seated for the whole show and a lot of clips were shown but he did tell his share of jokes and for a chance to see a legend, it was worth it.

As for "Cinderfella", it is a strange movie but as I remember it, Lewis insisted on filming the scene where he runs up a huge staircase in one take and when he reached the top, the director said cut and Lewis had a heart attack. Needless to say that delayed finishing the movie and so to finish it up quickly, a lot of exposition was removed so it ends on a rather strange note.

Reply To This Message

Author: Post-Punk Monk 
Date:   08-22-17 08:25

All my life I have been vexed by Jerry Lewis. He was as funny as cancer to me and the fact that huge swaths of the population thought otherwise was a huge blow to me. I think the generation that grew up watching his movies of the 60s got infected with the Lewis imprinting. I did not. I didn't see Lewis films on TV until I was 10-11 and they were so infantile and amateurish I was very unimpressed. As opposed to a movie like "The In-Laws" [orig ver.] which made me and my parents laugh until we were out of breath. And Jerry was always a monster. Everything I read about him chilled my blood. I will admit he was used to good effect in the stunt-cast "King Of Comedy," one of my favorite Scorsese films. That's all. I just hope he's not cremated so I could have a grave to p--- on one day.

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Reply To This Message

Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   08-22-17 08:59

Quote:

I ran into my childhood friend recently and he still listens and goes to KISS shows, probably still in the Army!

Does past membership in the KISS Army carry any veteran benefits? Do you have to have done a certain number of tours? Or is one enough?

Reply To This Message

Author: breno 
Date:   08-22-17 15:26

He was Gary Lewis' pappy, and my first favorite song of my childhood, way, way back before I even started kindergarten, was "Everybody Loves a Clown" by Gary and his Playboys.

I think one of the reasons I loved the album Libraries by The Love Language so much is because the song "Horophones" sounds kind of like it might have been influenced by "Everybody Loves a Clown."

So anyhow, that song in some small way started me on a life that made sure I'd never be able to retire because all my extra funds went to records.

Quote:

As opposed to a movie like "The In-Laws" [orig ver.] which made me and my parents laugh until we were out of breath.

I know the feeling. There were two times in my life where my dear old dad laughed so hard that I honestly feared he might have a heart attack and die on the spot. Once was during The In-Laws and once was during "The Germans" episode of Fawlty Towers.

Post Edited (08-22-17 15:30)

Reply To This Message

Author: Post-Punk Monk 
Date:   08-23-17 08:13

Breno - Oh yeah! That episode of Fawlty Towers was potentially fatal! I probably laughed just as hard as with "The In-Laws" on that one, but can't remember if my parents were watching with me. Both of these would have been in 1978 or so.

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Reply To This Message

Author: upper90 
Date:   08-23-17 11:02

Ha, all I got was an iron on patch, some stickers, pictures and various other sundries for my tour of duty. I imagine if I would have kept my Army mailing entirely intact it would be worth quite a bit. For instance, I sold a tall pretty cool looking KISS garbage can on ebay for $190 many years ago. Pretty sure I paid 10 bucks for it at Camelot Records. This was prior to Paypal being so easy so everything was via mail. The buyer mailed me a money order for the payment and her address sticker was KISS themed. She wrote me a personal note inside the envelope as well with KISS stickers on it and thanked me for the wonderful garbage can. So, yes, the Army is still out there!

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-23-17 14:25

> So, yes, the Army is still out there!

Without a mandatory retirement age, evidently.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org