Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 R.I.P. Grant Hart
Author: breno 
Date:   09-14-17 06:49

No words.

http://variety.com/2017/music/news/husker-du-grant-hart-dead-1202558122/

Reply To This Message

Re: R.I.P. Grant Hart
Author: mats84 
Date:   09-14-17 07:51

Many of my very favorite Husker Du moments were from Grant - and that's what made them special - like 2 great bands in one - and his hit or miss solo career had some wonderful, underrated high points too.

This one hurts.......

RIP

Reply To This Message

Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   09-14-17 09:04

I have no words. He was a great singer and songwriter (and drummer). I had no idea he was ill. As much as I've hero-worshipped Bob Mould over the years, it was Grant's songs that were my entryway into the Husker Du world. Not to mention his often excellent solo and Nova Mob albums. On top of that, he is one of my all-time favorite singers. I'm stunned.

Reply To This Message

Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   09-14-17 09:10

RIP.

Reply To This Message

Author: upper90 
Date:   09-14-17 09:32

That stinks, especially given the reworks getting ready to come out. I will never forget the first time listening to Warehouse on a metal cassette record store giveaway copy. Blasting it, getting to Back from Somewhere and that awesome yell from Grant "I remember you!!!!"

Reply To This Message

Author: BCE 
Date:   09-14-17 10:22

This one really hurts. So much closer to home.

Reply To This Message

Author: zwirnm 
Date:   09-14-17 10:27

So sad to hear! "2541" is one of my very favorite songs, and I loved his moments in lead on the Hüsker Dü records.

Reply To This Message

Author: zoo 
Date:   09-14-17 12:51

I've only ever owned one Husker Du album (Flip Your Wig)...but I played it to death while I was in college, which was a handful of years after that album was released. I remember driving through the U of FL campus with "Keep Hanging On" full blast, windows down, doing my best to keep up with Hart's ragged, powerful vocals (I couldn't but, I sure did try, belting out the chorus at the top of my lungs). Anyone I passed on the sidewalk probably got a good laugh, but who cares.

Husker Du mattered, and Grant Hart was a legend. RIP.

Reply To This Message

Author: MrFab 
Date:   09-14-17 13:34

Oh fuuuuuck! DAMN, there goes the Husker Du reunion. I really had (a faint bit of) hope.

First heard "Metal Circus," but "Zen Arcade" made me a fan. Then one masterpiece after another. Was fortunate to see 'em headlne the 1985 ('86?) SST tour, along with the Minutemen and the Meat Puppets, all at the height of their powers. Needless to say, one of my more memorable evenings.

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   09-14-17 14:23

Wow, I hadn't been aware that those three acts had toured together in a package deal. That must have been stupendous, Fab!

My own experience seeing Hüsker Dü, at a small club in the suburbs of Denver in 1987, was enthralling beyond words. Literally -- none of the band members spoke a single word to the audience all night. They just let the music do the talking ... and the shouting, and the screaming, and the caterwauling ... (I didn't know till later, Paganizer was at that show too.)

I didn't harbor any hope for a reunion -- jeez, consider how long it took the band members to get over things enough to start cooperating on reissues. Besides, Bob Mould clearly thrives more in an environment where he's the guy in charge.

A very sad loss, from an artist who should've had more success and recognition than he did.

Reply To This Message

Author: Paganizer 
Date:   09-15-17 05:34

wow - i was! went outside to sell an extra tix and had a long convo with grant.
actually every time i saw them i talked to him
it's not often said but he was cool & intellectual
i just watched that movie earlier this year>
it's well worth the $1.99 stream!!
i'm tearing

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   09-15-17 10:48

It was at some basement club in Aurora. Christmas was the opening act.

Reply To This Message

Author: nosepail 
Date:   09-15-17 13:19

My all time favorite band and drummer. RIP, Grant.

Reply To This Message

Author: rhettlawrence 
Date:   09-15-17 15:05

Yes, this one hurt a lot. When I saw him about 5 years ago, he didn't look particularly healthy. But I didn't know about the kidney cancer, which obviously took a real toll on him. Some of those later pictures (including one that was taken earlier this summer with a friend of mine in Minneapolis) are pretty scary, 'cuz he just looked awful.

I am embarrassed that I haven't gotten around to watching the documentary yet and I don't think I'll be able to do it now, at least for a while. I did get teary-eyed yesterday reading some of the tributes coming in for him, including a surprisingly moving one from Billie Joe in Green Day. I think it would just hurt too much to revisit the sadness of Grant's life now, so I'll hafta hold off on watching the doc for a bit.

You'll be missed, Grant, and you deserved so much more than you got.

Reply To This Message

Author: hoip chiggs 
Date:   09-16-17 20:02

Totally unexpected and I was getting my hopes up for a reunion. I hope they'll reissue all of Grant's solo stuff. RIP.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org