Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 J. D. Buhl and the Believers
Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   09-18-17 15:32

Did I imagine that there was a TP entry for J.D. Buhl & the Believers? I don't know how I would've heard about this one-shot 80s band otherwise. But I see nothing.

Buhl is now pursuing music again with an album called Some Are Still Not Free. I was just looking for some background info. Though I did listen to some tracks of the original on YouTube.

Reply To This Message

Re: J. D. Buhl and the Believers
Author: rhettlawrence 
Date:   09-19-17 13:00

I don't believe there was. I've got all the books and this band name rings no bells for me. What are they/he like?

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-19-17 14:11

What I've heard on YouTube from the original record is sort of like Dwight Twilley with Joe Jackson singing. Roots in rockabilly but definitely power pop, very energetic, with sneery vocals. I like it.

The new record is not nearly as fierce, as one might expect from a guy who didn't play music for 30 years (or at least didn't release any) and is that many decades older. But it's still got some good songs.

He's not a lost classic artist, but he's definitely of interest to genre fans, especially of the period.

If he was never in TP, then I wonder how in the heck I ever heard about him. I'd read about him long before I was assigned this record to review.

Reply To This Message

Author: rhettlawrence 
Date:   09-20-17 14:39

Huh. I'll keep an eye out for him. Sounds interesting.

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   09-20-17 14:59

> ... sort of like Dwight Twilley with Joe Jackson singing.

I'll be on the lookout too. Thanks, Mr Toland!

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-20-17 15:04

That applies to the 80s record. The current one is a lot more midtempo, and his voice a lot more plainspoken.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org