Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Sweet Caroline
Author: Heff 
Date:   09-20-17 14:31

Did I miss something? When did this song become America's song? It's gotten that every bar that I go to that has a cover band will play that song and everyone joins in. Now Hyundai is featuring it in a TV commercial. God, I hate that song!

Reply To This Message

Re: Sweet Caroline
Author: Delvin 
Date:   09-20-17 14:58

Know what you mean, Heff. I've always disliked that song, though it's not a mystery how it got so popular: catchy chorus, sunny feel, and something simple that folks can sing along to. My former college roommate called it "the cracker national anthem."

Reply To This Message

Author: Philippe 
Date:   09-20-17 15:16

Wasn't the Boston Red Sox using the song as their 8th-inning theme music a big reason for its gaining popularity a few years ago? I hardly ever heard it growing up, so its ubiquity is rather recent (i.e. 21st century).

It seemed that it gained a new level of popularity after the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing, as a tribute song to Boston (they should have picked Dirty Water instead, but no one asked me...)

Reply To This Message

Author: Post-Punk Monk 
Date:   09-20-17 16:14

Not Neil Diamond's finest moment. Many others come to mind for that honor.

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Reply To This Message

Author: Heff 
Date:   09-20-17 17:17

Phillippe - yeah, I would prefer "Dirty Water". If it's sporting events that define America, how about "Thank God, I"m a Country Boy" - Orioles, or "Jump" - University of Wisconsin, to name a few. Better yet, Randy Newman should rewrite the lyrics to "I Love LA" (Lakers) to "I Love the USofA".

Reply To This Message

Author: hoip chiggs 
Date:   09-21-17 10:46

Ah, but what did Sweet Caroline ever do to you? She always been sweet to me. Good times never felt so good.

Reply To This Message

Author: rebelwithoutaclue 
Date:   09-23-17 22:43

When did the so so good thing come to be? I used to like the song until it got overdone. Because i am a jew people tell me i have to get excited like a druken fratboy when hearing it.

Reply To This Message

Author: mats84 
Date:   09-24-17 14:01

This Sweet Caroline commercial is on non-stop repeat on Sunday football and it's actually a pretty gross commercial - 50% smug irony, 50% insincere affection for the song (that's why there's those males in the other cars give those looks.......but the middle aged housefrau lady replies............I guess).

Not a good combo.

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   09-25-17 10:23

> Because i am a jew people tell me i have to get excited like a druken fratboy
> when hearing it.

The day someone tells me I have to sing along to "Rocky Mountain High" will be the day I get arrested and booked for assault & battery.

Reply To This Message

Author: hoip chiggs 
Date:   09-25-17 12:50

As a Jew I am in constant thrall of Bob Dylan's career. He just keeps getting better and better!!

Or should I say deeper and deeper. So deep that Gruntfish can hear him.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org