Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 R.I.P. David Bowie
Author: M. Johnson 
Date:   01-11-16 03:24

I love you.

Reply To This Message

Re: R.I.P. David Bowie
Author: MrFab 
Date:   01-11-16 03:35

Jeezus, what a shock. He had cancer for 18 months?! News to me. Was that even made public?

Reply To This Message

Author: Philippe 
Date:   01-11-16 04:40

He did mention a short time ago that he would no longer tour, but that was not all that surprising given his age.

I hope Delvin does a tribute show for the ages in his honor.

RIP

Reply To This Message

Author: thegoldenyear 
Date:   01-11-16 04:50

I was at my computer at 1:30 a.m., about to sign off for the night, and something akin to Bowie spider sense drew me to Twitter.

The next half-hour was a desperate blur, working through sites and T.V. tickers, briefly encouraged by Facebook cries of "hoax! hack hoax!" I kept thinking of Sinatra's (apparent) last words ("I'm losing"), as the affirmations grew ever more legitimate, from flashy entertainment outposts to august outlets. And then back to Twitter, where Duncan Jones confirmed it - the very subject of 'Kooks' had just posted a photo of a 24-year-old Bowie with his infant son above his head, captioned with "[v]ery sorry and sad to say it's true. I'll be offline for a while. Love to all."

Well that's it then.

We'll only lose our favourite ever writer, artist, ball player, actor or musician once. Personally, I'm blessed to have lived at the same time as them all. Bowie was a Rushmore-worthy musical figure. We'll not see his like again. He influenced nearly every artist within the TP sphere. And he's gone out with his best reviews in what feels like forever, with a startlingly exciting new work destined to be pored over in the coming weeks like it was the 'Bewlay Brothers' lyric or the 'Low' soundscape.

Rough day for music.

Ashes to ashes.

Post Edited (01-11-16 04:53)

Reply To This Message

Author: breno 
Date:   01-11-16 07:56

Completely stunned. If celebrity news ever caused me to call in sick to work, it's this.

But he went out with style. Blackstar is fucking incredible, and any album coming out in the next 51 weeks has a high hurdle to clear if it wants to make the best of year discussion.

Reply To This Message

Author: Paganizer 
Date:   01-11-16 08:31

Bowie was my in.
I was listening to my older siblings pop albums,a young american, when the Heroes video came out and I went and bought ChangesOne and discovered the music under the floor and out in the spaceship.

Realizing that one of the greatest musicians of all time might not be on the pop chart - might be unknown to everybody in my town. And there were more and more. Eno meant Roxy Music meant Ultravox meant...

I was lucky to see him perform n several decades/guises. I watched that man. Lucky to be alive the same time.
I listen to Bowie weekly. That won't change.

I was Major Tom. I knew I was a junkie. I was Ziggy. I jazzed for Blue Jean. I crashed in the same car. I looked back in anger. I went up the hill backwards. I was most definitely a lad insane. I panicked in Detroit with Jean Genie. I was from Freecloud with Sapphire and cracked emerald. I sold the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv6mEv_rDdE

Fill Your Heart with Love Today

Reply To This Message

Author: BCE 
Date:   01-11-16 08:33

I really don't like THIS Monday. What dreadful news to be waking up to... I was just watching "The Prestige" (Bowie as Tesla -- what's not to like?) again just a few weeks ago.

Reply To This Message

Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   01-11-16 09:08

The news choked me up pretty fierce. RIP.

Reply To This Message

Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   01-11-16 09:22

I'm in shock, as is everyone else. I've been weeping at my desk all morning.

Coming right on the heels of Lemmy, another artist deeply important to me...it's too much.

Reply To This Message

Author: zoo 
Date:   01-11-16 10:27

I was listening to "Blackstar" on Spotify (and totally digging it, of course) when I opened Yahoo to send an email and saw the news. My first thought was "I have to go home...I can't be at work" but then I remembered I have like three meetings and tons to do so that wasn't happening. So, I got up and told everyone in my office to make sure they knew.

I saw the man in concert once...Miami Arena, 1989 or 1990, can't remember. It was the Sound & Vision tour, so I got to see another fav, Adrian Belew, on stage as well. Hearing "Ashes to Ashes" live was one of the all-time great concert experiences of my life. What a thrill.

I will be listening to his great music all day today...and possibly all week.

Reply To This Message

Author: Post-Punk Monk 
Date:   01-11-16 10:54

I was all prepared to discuss "Blackstar" with on the blog today. As I worked out at the gym the music on the p.a. [which included "Blue Jean"] was obliterated in my mind by the chords of "Blackstar." I drove to work with the title track (all 9:57 of it) on repeat as it would already prove to be obsessional with me.

I pulled into the parking lot at work and my assistant was waiting for me in the parking lot. He knew I was leaving work last Friday and buying the new album on the day of release. [so rare, that]  "It's so ironic, have you heard the news?!"

"What news?" I countered.

"David Bowie is dead! I woke up and saw it trending on my Facebook!"

Well my head is still reeling. Hearing he had cancer and knowing that the diagnosis was for the last 18 months doesn't shock after listening to "Blackstar." It sounds every inch the work of a man confronting death.

Gotta try to work now. I've got something in my eye right now.

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-11-16 15:23

Addendum #1:

Given the recent news of Bowie's passing, do you suppose the folks at Pitchfork are wishing that they could have this review back for editing?

I know that I'd be cringing.

Addendum #2: My significant other is significantly younger than me, and had the temerity to refer to "Let's Dance"-era Bowie as "oldies" this morning.

Ouch.

She's lucky she's so damned cute.

Reply To This Message

Author: hoip chiggs 
Date:   01-11-16 15:50

Just getting over a cold from last week, and now I think I'm gonna be sick again. This feels like a knockout blow. He was like family to me. I was looking forward to Bowie's musical output for years to come.

Post Edited (01-11-16 16:05)

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-12-16 09:01

The last 24 hours have been filled with beautiful tributes, but this one from Nile Rodgers feels especially heartfelt and moving.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/david-bowie-changed-my-life-nile-rodgers-180120507.html

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-13-16 09:23

That was a good piece from Rodgers. I get the whole "Let's Dance" phenomenon; Bowie needed cash commensurate with his reputation after his financial connection to DeFries had reached its proscribed end in 1982, but the cost to him was dear. I'd say Nile got by far the better end of the deal; getting reinvented as a go-to pop/rock/dance producer after getting tarred with the "disco sucks" brush. Good for him! I totally love his work with DD on "Notorious" and wish that he'd produced the whole album for INXS. But the money generated by "Let's Dance" completely overshadows the second, much more interesting [flop] album he produced for David Bowie. "Black Tie, White Noise" was the Bowie solo album that brought me back after sitting out the 80s, though Tin Machine was the rock enema he truly needed to cleanse the 80s out of him.

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-13-16 10:11

Band name alert!

Rock Enema

Coming soon to a restroom near you.

Anyway, what do you all think of his movies? I thought he was great in The Hunger and The Man Who Fell to Earth. I wonder if his performance as The Elephant Man was ever captured on video.

Post Edited (01-13-16 10:14)

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-13-16 11:13

I think he acquitted himself admirably well in acting roles. Which have I seen?

Feature Roles:

• The Man Who Fell To Earth - Brilliant, though he's hardly acting
• The Hunger - 2001 of Vampire movies. He was fine. The plot was pulpy but it was beautifully shot. A friend of mine put it best: "the first 20 minutes are ART." Your mileage may vary for the rest.
• Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence - Bowie was fine, but I thought Ryuichi Sakamoto walked away with that one.
• Labyrinth - I wish a Bowiephile friend had not talked me into seeing this one with his girlfriend. Indigestible camp from a satanic alliance between Geirge Lucas, Jim Henson… and Terry Jones? Jones; both of them, should have known better.
• The Linguini Incident - The whole kooky comedy thing didn't work in spite of being of big fan of later Richard Shepard movies [which weren't kooky comedies]. Bowie as straight man to Rosanna Arquette? Didn't he know that she was the ruin of many a musician? [Peter Gabriel and Paul Buchanan, I'm calling you out!]
• Basquiat - Bowie was pretty cool as Warhol. Not a bad film, either. Good on yer, Mr. Schnabel.
• The Prestige - Bowie as Nikola Tesla was very cool, as was the movie itself.

Cameos:
• Into the Night - I think I saw at least part of this. I can't remember it.
• Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - Was too busy paying attention to Chris Isaak's Special Agent Chet Desmond to notice!
• Zoolander - Dumb movie/smart cameo.

Post Edited (01-13-16 11:55)

Reply To This Message

Author: Heff 
Date:   01-13-16 12:31

> • Into the Night - I think I saw at least part of this. I can't
> remember it.

Noteworthy only for director John Landis casting his fellow director buddies in cameos. Bowie is a hitman and has a fight to the death with Carl Perkins (yes, Blue Suede Shoes)

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-13-16 15:29

I think Jeff Goldblum starred in this... hazy on the rest. John Landis was never a favorite.

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-13-16 15:30

I actually like Into the Night quite a bit, and Bowie as the dim hitman who's convinced he's the smartest guy around is the highlight.

The only thing I remember from The Linguini Incident is an understated but perfect Bowie reaction shot when the Swedish waitress announces "In Sweden, we say that a meal without pie is like a meal without sex!" All Bowie does is raise an eyebrow, but it's probably the funniest thing in the movie.

Reply To This Message

Author: Aitch 
Date:   01-13-16 18:57

Sheesh, been working off-site for a couple of days so luckily wasn't in the regular workplace.
Time for contemplation instead. Obviously, wanted to listen to him im memorium on the day the news broke of his passing and though I have quite a few releases,
Low being the favourite (Speed Of Life. How's that for openers?), the only item I had of his on iPod was the instrumental collection All Saints, which curiously seemed
to fit the mood perfectly.

Reply To This Message

Author: dj45rpm 
Date:   01-13-16 22:32

I seem to be in the minority, but I enjoyed his supporting role in Absolute Beginners as the slick amoral adman. (I liked the movie overall, but again I think I might be in the minority there). Haven't seen him in "Just a Gigolo", but apparently that's for the best.

Worth noting that The Hunger (or at least the clip they played during MTV's Halloween Special decades ago) was my first exposure to Bauhaus as well.

Post Edited (01-13-16 22:41)

Reply To This Message

Author: BCE 
Date:   01-14-16 08:21

Bowie also had a key role as Pontious Pilate in "The Last Temptation of Christ", the Martin Scorcese movie with the Peter Gabriel soundtrack. That movie has held up very well -- considering its pre-'DaVinci Code' material by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Post Edited (01-14-16 08:22)

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-15-16 15:01

Tribute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnBwJQnHH8o

I don't think Bowie would've used the F word, though.

Reply To This Message

Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   01-15-16 15:09

I tried to watch this earlier today. Sweet jumping Jesus, what happened to her voice? She's rough, tuneless, sucked of all personality - if I heard this without the video I wouldn't have known it was her.

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-16-16 00:54

A perfect description of her two or three most recent albums.

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-16-16 12:24

Nay. Her entire career.

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-27-17 10:58

I missed this Bowie item at the time and hope you'll all think it was worth posting.

Bowie's lyrical coda seems especially poignant given the nauseating political climate here in the States:

Love’s such an old-fashioned word
and love dares you to care for
the people on the edge of the night
And love dares you to change our way
Of caring about ourselves
This is our last dance
This is our last dance
This is ourselves

. . .

It's not often that a music article sends a tear down my cheek.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org