Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 RRHOF Nominees
Author: breno 
Date:   10-05-17 08:33

Radiohead
Rage Against the Machine
Kate Bush
Nina Simone
Eurythmics
Judas Priest
Sister Rosetta Tharpe
Dire Straits
Moody Blues
Depeche Mode
LL Cool J
MC5
The Zombies
The Meters
The Cars
Link Wray
Bon Jovi
Rufus with Chaka Khan
J. Geils Band

Of that bunch, I'd say Radiohead is the only lock. Otherwise, draw names out of a hat. No clue who the RRHOF voters would pick out of that bunch.

I knew that the Moody Blues had long been considered one of the biggest snubs by the Hall, but didn't know how big of a snub - this is their first time even being nominated! I guess someone at the Hall caught a PBS pledge drive this year and had a eureka moment.

Pleasantly surprised to see that they realize Kate Bush exists. In light of Delvin once talking about how much theoretical ticket sales for the ceremony influence the actual inductions, maybe someone took note of a solid month of sold out performances in London and calculated the potential draw of actually seeing Kate Bush in person even if all she does is deliver her acceptance speech and then leaves it up to Lorde or HAIM to get on stage and perform "Running Up That Hill."

Not sure if J Geils dying will give the J Geils Band the boost it needs to be inducted, but if it doesn't, I doubt anything will.

Post Edited (10-05-17 08:35)

Reply To This Message

Re: RRHOF Nominees
Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   10-05-17 08:53

It would be great if the MC5 got in before any more members die.

It would also be great if Link Wray and Sister Rosetta Tharpe got in (the latter as a pioneer, I assume). My biggest problem with the Hall choosing inductees by how many tickets to the ceremony they'll sell is that a lot of early innovators get ignored. We'll see.

I agree that Radiohead is pretty much a lock. I wonder if they'll show up to accept or perform - I'd bet not. Also - holy crap, they've been around for 25 years?

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-05-17 09:13

If I had to make a prediction of which five will make the cut, I guess I'd go with

Radiohead

LL Cool J (nominated and passed over several times already, and the only hip hopper in the field this year)

Rufus/Chaka Khan (nominated so often it's getting embarrassing that they keep getting passed over)

The Zombies (have to fill the obligatory 60s spot somehow - not that they're not deserving on their own merits, as they definitely are - and since the Moodies have never even been nominated before, the Zombies would seem to have more of a core voting base.)

Bon Jovi (Filling the "Aw, fuck no! Not them!!!!" role previously assumed by Steve Miller and Journey.)

Dark horse: Dire Straits (They've been a non-issue since 1985, but listen to a Classic Rock station for a week and they are beloved titans there. Driving home from Florida last year with only terrestrial radio to listen to, I heard "Sultans of Swing" three times in one hour on three different stations. They're the sort of band that aging boomers can look at the rest of this list and feel good about voting for.)

And since it seems like the pioneer spot is usually in addition to the five main inductees, it's a toss up between Nina and Rosetta, but I'd predict Nina. She seems to be having a bit of a resurgence. Even the millennials I work with have heard her name, at least.

Post Edited (10-05-17 09:17)

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   10-05-17 09:58

My predictions:

Radiohead (a lock, I'm sure ... and yeah, 25 years with no personnel changes!)
The Zombies (in the Sixties artist slot)
J. Geils Band (in the Seventies artist slot)
The Cars (in the dark horse/comfortable artist slot)
Nina Simone (in the pioneering influence slot)
Bon Jovi (in the "Let's put some asses in seats" slot)

Reply To This Message

Author: Post-Punk Monk 
Date:   10-05-17 16:45

Oh mah gawd! Link Wray nominated??!! Where's my smelling salts!

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Reply To This Message

Author: mats84 
Date:   10-05-17 19:30

Meanwhile still no 'Mats, no Husker Du, no Johnny Thunders, no Big Star but what the hell let's put Bon Jovi in......sigh

I'd have to say The Cars seem like a lock to me - Blondie is in, Cheap Trick is in comparable to me in the same era..............seems a natural among those peers but that's just my perception of what I think they'd go for and clearly this thing is not my strong suit anyway.

Reply To This Message

Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   10-05-17 19:40

MC5
Link Wray.

. . .

We can skip the rest.

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-06-17 09:11

Current standings in the fan voting:

At the top:
Bon Jovi - 51,543 (by a margin of 15,000 votes over Dire Straits in second place)

Everyone else

At the bottom:
Link Wray - 4,693
MC5 - 4,572

And people wonder how Trump got elected.

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-06-17 10:18

Wow ... Sister Rosetta Tharpe beat Link AND the 5?

Nothing against Sister R, but I can't remember the last time I heard her name, let alone her music.

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-06-17 12:12

Wray's nomination is probably on the back of the recent "Rumble" documentary.

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-06-17 21:52

Now Jon Bovi is up by nearly 22,000 votes over Dire Straits at #2. The world is a savage and ugly place sometimes.

Link Wray now resides at the bottom of the heap, as the MC5 have vaulted over both him and The Meters, and are now third from the bottom.

Reply To This Message

Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   10-07-17 11:13

Quote:

And people wonder how Trump got elected.

Actually, if Bon Jovi wins by popular vote ... that'd be one thing he doesn't share in common with The Donald®.

Reply To This Message

Author: zwirnm 
Date:   10-08-17 11:10

Of this list I would wholly support:

Radiohead
Kate Bush
Nina Simone (pioneer)
Sister Rosetta Tharpe (pioneer)
Dire Straits
The Zombies
The Meters

Reply To This Message

Author: hoip chiggs 
Date:   10-09-17 00:05

Is Jethro Tull in there? Just want to make sure.

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-09-17 10:04

I don't think Jethro Tull ever even has been nominated.

Whether that's a travesty, or a tribute to Tull's credibility, I leave to your discretion.

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-09-17 11:27

Rush and Yes are the only prog and prog-adjacent bands in the hall, and probably the only ones ever likely to be. Maybe King Crimson, who are probably the most influential, but I doubt it. Fripp probably wouldn't bother showing up if it did happen.

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-09-17 13:55

Hey now! Genesis is in, also.

And as far as that goes, Peter Gabriel is in as a solo artist, though his solo career pretty much sheds any lingering prog-adjacency once you get past "Moribund the Burgermeister," the first track on his first solo album.

I think that ELP and Jethro Tull will probably someday make it in. When it comes time that the only options are them or The Smiths and T-Rex, HOF voters will overcome any lingering distaste for prog.

Post Edited (10-09-17 13:56)

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-09-17 16:04

I forgot about Genesis. Not hard to do, admittedly.

I'd call Gabriel progressive in the more literal sense - he's definitely not "prog rock." A term Crimson objects to as well. I interviewed Tony Levin a couple of weeks ago, and he said the band was "burdened with being called 'prog rock.'"

Reply To This Message

Author: mats84 
Date:   10-09-17 17:06

"When it comes time that the only options are them or The Smiths and T-Rex, HOF voters will overcome any lingering distaste for prog."

This is actually a really good illustration of the UK (or NME?) factor vs. their Rolling Stone US counterparts - I suppose if the Rock Hall of Fame was a NME/UK thing The Smiths, Stone Roses, T. Rex, Joy Division, Blur, Oasis, would be no brainer first ballot locks and ELP and Tull maybe wouldn't even be pegged for down the road........

Reply To This Message

Author: nosepail 
Date:   10-16-17 18:40

https://pitchfork.com/news/radiohead-is-just-elaborate-moaning-and-whining-according-to-fox-news/

For once, I think Fox News might have a point.

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-17-17 11:35

"I voted for: Link Wray, Rufus, MC5, Nina Simone, & The Meters," said the least popular kid in class.

Reply To This Message

Author: dj45rpm 
Date:   10-18-17 00:21

"I suppose if the Rock Hall of Fame was a NME/UK thing The Smiths, Stone Roses, T. Rex, Joy Division, Blur, Oasis, would be no brainer first ballot locks and ELP and Tull maybe wouldn't even be pegged for down the road"

And of course the Jam would have made it in the first year they were eligible.

""I voted for: Link Wray, Rufus, MC5, Nina Simone, & The Meters," said the least popular kid in class."

Yeah, but you'd be the least (or amongst the least) embarrassing person at your class reunion.

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-18-17 00:30

Hear, hear! [said the guy who had been the least popular kid in his class]

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org